The Riding Gravel Forum
Register Calendar Latest Topics Chat
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
TiGeo

Member
Registered:
Posts: 72
Reply with quote  #26 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainhigh
LB did say they had the SCS Hope hubs. They were confused about the front hub but the rear hub they linked for me I assume is the correct one. I don't know enough about all this to be 100% sure though although I am sure if I got something and it didn't work they would work with me to get something that did or just sell me the rims and refund the rest. 


My advice is...be very sure you are getting what will work.  That bike has all sorts of $hit going on.  The r. is a 135mm/12mm TA with SCS spacing.  The f. is a 100mm/15mm TA which is not as common on road type bikes as 12mm..it's actually no drama b/c the 15mm is just a standard MTB (non-Boost!) hub.  My buddy had so much trouble with this b/c non of the shops understood the standards he had - so much so that I (b/c I'm a total nerd about this stuff) made him a laminated wallet card with what he needed to show the shop as a joke...

Final comment, there was a rumor that Specy was making a non-SCS derailleur hanger for that bike that would allow you to run a normal 135/12mm TA hub which would open up more options for you...may want to check that out too...good luck in your quest for SCS-wizard status!
0
rockymountainhigh

Member
Registered:
Posts: 20
Reply with quote  #27 
Nice. Ya I have no clue the quality or durability of those Axis hubs on there. I am hoping to drop a pound or so with the Carbon setup. I don't need a super beefy wheel just something that is durable. The only real issue I have riding is that I scrape the sides of the tire/rim sometimes on all the mid sized rocks I roll through way the hell up in the mountains. I don't think any of the descending I do is hard or fast enough to compromise the rim in any way. Maybe if I was running super super low pressures. 
0
rockymountainhigh

Member
Registered:
Posts: 20
Reply with quote  #28 

Any idea what the alloy roval rims that came stock on my bike weigh? I can only find a spec for the entire wheelset.

I think my bike is a 12mm TA on the front...

https://www.specialized.com/dk/en/axis-4-0-disc-scs-ta/p/118017

?

This stuff is confusing. 

0
TiGeo

Member
Registered:
Posts: 72
Reply with quote  #29 
Ok...sit down...ahahahah

Those wheels ARE NOT FOR THE 2015.  In 2016, they went to the 12mm f. standard. So, that rear wheel will work fine on your bike...but not the front.  Your front is a 15mm TA, not a 12mm.  Trust me here...I have lost hours of my life to sorting this nonsense out for my buddy who is not a bike tech guy...I had to explain all this to the shop guys too that sold Specy!  So funny.  I know this b/c he bought those same wheels and they didn't fit...had to have a different hub laced up to the f. to make the kit work.

Your stock wheels are about 1800g or so if I recall.  You won't loose a pound unless you spend big money on v. light hubs/spokes etc.  I want to say I dropped ~150g at most going to my carbon LB wheels vs. the Axis 4.0s.
0
rockymountainhigh

Member
Registered:
Posts: 20
Reply with quote  #30 
Thanks...very confusing! 
0
TiGeo

Member
Registered:
Posts: 72
Reply with quote  #31 
Indeed!  This was hot topic that year with folks that had the CruX and Diverge.  Here is the wallet card I made him..hahahahaah  Capture.jpg 
0
rockymountainhigh

Member
Registered:
Posts: 20
Reply with quote  #32 

Might be able to eek close to a pound out going tubeless. Right now I am running tubes and it all weighs in at 20lbs even with no water bottle on it. 

I also kind of screwed myself because I put 40 toother on the rear for all the steep stuff I do out here. 

It is only an XT cassette so if I want to stick with a 40 tooth I could get an XTR cassette and that would drop some weight. The XTR cassette is like .5 lbs lighter I think. 

0
rockymountainhigh

Member
Registered:
Posts: 20
Reply with quote  #33 
Ridiculous! You know companies have stupid sizing standards when you have to carry around a card to remind yourself and prove it to mechanics haha. 
0
TiGeo

Member
Registered:
Posts: 72
Reply with quote  #34 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainhigh

Might be able to eek close to a pound out going tubeless. Right now I am running tubes and it all weighs in at 20lbs even with no water bottle on it. 

I also kind of screwed myself because I put 40 toother on the rear for all the steep stuff I do out here. 

It is only an XT cassette so if I want to stick with a 40 tooth I could get an XTR cassette and that would drop some weight. The XTR cassette is like .5 lbs lighter I think. 



Yes, if you are moving to tubeless at the same time, there is some weight there....replace a tube with 60g of sealant.  I did the same on my CruX...had an 11-40 XT cassette which is ~420g I *think* and thought about going XTR for some more weight...it's about 100g lighter than the XT...really not worth it when you think about it.  Your Diverge should be able to get under 20...I think his is in the upper 19s.
0
TiGeo

Member
Registered:
Posts: 72
Reply with quote  #35 
Specy thought more companies would jump on the SCS standard and well...they didn't.  It happens and I give it to Specy for trying to innovate even though it wasn't really necessary in this case and screwed those with 2015 CruX's and Diverges.

Great reading on all this here:

https://nextcycling.com/

They even make SCS-compatible wheels!
0
DrSpoke

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 269
Reply with quote  #36 
So far, no response from my friends regarding availability of wheels - sorry.

From what I can understand, TiGeo's responses have been spot on.  I empathize with the non-geeks trying to understand all this stuff.  There is a lot of misinformation out there and even the good information is difficult to understand even for the experienced bike nerds.  That said, I would suggest you read and re-read the material in the links I recommended earlier in this thread until you have at least a basic understanding of what you are dealing with.  One of the links even deals with issues some have had with mounting a new rim on the OEM hubs due to spoke lacing issues.

I agree in general that wheels are often the weak point in most OEM bikes as a cost cutting measure to hit a price point.  So usually it is the best place to start in upgrading any bike.  But, in the case of a Diverge, I'm not sure it makes much sense.  I would suggest two options.  The first is to just accept the wheelset you have as more than adequate for the designed purpose of the bike.  If you need a 2nd set, I would look on eBay, be patient and try to find an OEM set there.  If you are determined to get a lighter bike and/or lighter wheels I think you should consider just selling the Diverge.  In many ways it's a great bike and very suitable to a great many riders.  It's just not a good platform for upgrades.  So use the money from the sale along with the money you planned to spend on a new wheelset and use it to buy a nice gravel bike that suits your needs in the near term and that you can also upgrade in the future - that is, standard spec wheels/parts.  There are so many options out there today especially as compared to a few years ago when the Diverge came out.  That is, cut your losses sooner rather than later.  My guess is that the Diverge w/the SCS system will soon be (already ?) obsolete and pretty worthless in just a few more years.
0
TiGeo

Member
Registered:
Posts: 72
Reply with quote  #37 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpoke
So far, no response from my friends regarding availability of wheels - sorry.

From what I can understand, TiGeo's responses have been spot on.  I empathize with the non-geeks trying to understand all this stuff.  There is a lot of misinformation out there and even the good information is difficult to understand even for the experienced bike nerds.  That said, I would suggest you read and re-read the material in the links I recommended earlier in this thread until you have at least a basic understanding of what you are dealing with.  One of the links even deals with issues some have had with mounting a new rim on the OEM hubs due to spoke lacing issues.

I agree in general that wheels are often the weak point in most OEM bikes as a cost cutting measure to hit a price point.  So usually it is the best place to start in upgrading any bike.  But, in the case of a Diverge, I'm not sure it makes much sense.  I would suggest two options.  The first is to just accept the wheelset you have as more than adequate for the designed purpose of the bike.  If you need a 2nd set, I would look on eBay, be patient and try to find an OEM set there.  If you are determined to get a lighter bike and/or lighter wheels I think you should consider just selling the Diverge.  In many ways it's a great bike and very suitable to a great many riders.  It's just not a good platform for upgrades.  So use the money from the sale along with the money you planned to spend on a new wheelset and use it to buy a nice gravel bike that suits your needs in the near term and that you can also upgrade in the future - that is, standard spec wheels/parts.  There are so many options out there today especially as compared to a few years ago when the Diverge came out.  That is, cut your losses sooner rather than later.  My guess is that the Diverge w/the SCS system will soon be (already ?) obsolete and pretty worthless in just a few more years.


Why not just build a set of nice wheels for it?  The Hope SCS hub is a great 100% solution for this bike.  Here is my buddy's with custom carbon wheels built using that hub; the f. hub is no drama...just about any normal mountainbike hub will do.  I understand the logic of "get rid of it" to some degree, but as you can see, he has a great gravel bike and spent less than picking up a new one.  He runs 35s on it tubeless and they measure ~36 or so on the wider carbon rims.

Capture.jpg 


0
Konass

Starter
Registered:
Posts: 3
Reply with quote  #38 
You could also get a non-SCS rear derailleur hanger which allows you to use regular 135 wheels. DTs work wonderfully. 
0
TiGeo

Member
Registered:
Posts: 72
Reply with quote  #39 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konass
You could also get a non-SCS rear derailleur hanger which allows you to use regular 135 wheels. DTs work wonderfully. 


I recommended this as well and it may be the cheapest solution which should allow the use of non-custom wheels/hubs.
0
rockymountainhigh

Member
Registered:
Posts: 20
Reply with quote  #40 

Thanks for the replies everyone! 

I don't think I will sell the bike...just got it and I quite like it. So far it has done the job quite nicely. I am not sure I would be able to get into anything that is newer at a similar price point to what I paid for my bike. 

That is besides the point. 

I think what I am going to do is order some of the Light Bicycle rims that my wheel builder recommended and then have him re use the hubs that are on my bike now. Nothing wrong with them and I am not sure I would be able to tell much difference between them and something that cost a boat load of money. I am not a pro just riding to enjoy myself and wanting to drop some weight because of where I ride. 

If my wheel builder can hook me up with a deal on a cheap Hope SCS hub I may have him do that as well but right now I am not all that worried. 

Right now I am running tubes so going carbon rims, new bladed spokes, and tubeless, and I will drop weight. Also will be a semi cheap solution to my quest for slightly lower weight and lower rolling resistance. 

I can have the whole thing done for around 650$ if I don't do a new hub so that is right where I wanted to be to start out with.  

0
TiGeo

Member
Registered:
Posts: 72
Reply with quote  #41 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainhigh

Thanks for the replies everyone! 

I don't think I will sell the bike...just got it and I quite like it. So far it has done the job quite nicely. I am not sure I would be able to get into anything that is newer at a similar price point to what I paid for my bike. 

That is besides the point. 

I think what I am going to do is order some of the Light Bicycle rims that my wheel builder recommended and then have him re use the hubs that are on my bike now. Nothing wrong with them and I am not sure I would be able to tell much difference between them and something that cost a boat load of money. I am not a pro just riding to enjoy myself and wanting to drop some weight because of where I ride. 

If my wheel builder can hook me up with a deal on a cheap Hope SCS hub I may have him do that as well but right now I am not all that worried. 

Right now I am running tubes so going carbon rims, new bladed spokes, and tubeless, and I will drop weight. Also will be a semi cheap solution to my quest for slightly lower weight and lower rolling resistance. 

I can have the whole thing done for around 650$ if I don't do a new hub so that is right where I wanted to be to start out with.  



Sounds like a great plan to me.  Using the hubs you have will save a lot of money.
0
clarksonxc

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 146
Reply with quote  #42 
Just came across this listing on a Facebook group, thought it might be of some interest.  I have nothing to do with the sale or seller, just trying to help make a connection,  Seller's name is Bryant Maxwell.

Roval Rapide CL 40 Center Lock Disc SCS wheels
$700
Azle, TX

Selling a very lightly (less than 500 miles) used set of Of CL Roval Center Lock disc wheels. Structurally the wheels are nearly perfect, however some of the decals have started to peel off. These are on Spcialized hubs, with DT Swiss 240 internals and these are SCS wheels so please be sure they fit your bike before purchasing. These will include 1 used pair of Specialized Turbo 700x26 tires and another brand new set. Shimano Ice tech 160/140 rotors are included as well.

I also have a double Specialized wheel bag I can throw in if you would like it.

Will ship CONUS at buyer's expense.

0
TiGeo

Member
Registered:
Posts: 72
Reply with quote  #43 
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksonxc
Just came across this listing on a Facebook group, thought it might be of some interest.  I have nothing to do with the sale or seller, just trying to help make a connection,  Seller's name is Bryant Maxwell.

Roval Rapide CL 40 Center Lock Disc SCS wheels
$700
Azle, TX

Selling a very lightly (less than 500 miles) used set of Of CL Roval Center Lock disc wheels. Structurally the wheels are nearly perfect, however some of the decals have started to peel off. These are on Spcialized hubs, with DT Swiss 240 internals and these are SCS wheels so please be sure they fit your bike before purchasing. These will include 1 used pair of Specialized Turbo 700x26 tires and another brand new set. Shimano Ice tech 160/140 rotors are included as well.

I also have a double Specialized wheel bag I can throw in if you would like it.

Will ship CONUS at buyer's expense.



The key is the front....is it 12mm or 15mm b/c with the Specy branded front hub, it's unlikely (I'll just say it's a "no") that you can change the end caps.
0
rockymountainhigh

Member
Registered:
Posts: 20
Reply with quote  #44 
Thanks guys! I actually ordered a pot of light bicycle rims about a week and a half ago. My wheelbuilder can put them together all in for right around 650$. Might do a hope hub in the rear if he can find a cheap scs one. If not just going to reuse mine. I’ll post a shot when they are done. Went with a crazy weave pattern so it should be interesting how they turn out.
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.