The Riding Gravel Forum
Sign up Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
genefruit

Starter
Registered:
Posts: 1
Reply with quote  #1 
Six options available under the Journeyman name.  Details here

https://salsacycles.com/bikes/journeyman/journeyman_sora_700

Looks like an updated, aluminum version of the Vaya at a good price point.
0
drwelby

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 436
Reply with quote  #2 
and 30/46 cranks!
0
Bikeguy

Starter
Registered:
Posts: 11
Reply with quote  #3 
I like the Checkpoint ripoff graphics... 

0
JWK1

Member
Registered:
Posts: 22
Reply with quote  #4 
A good price point, but we'll see if they went too far.  No thru axles and awfully heavy for an alloy frame, doncha think?  It's almost as heavy as the Vaya.
0
tdilf

Member
Registered:
Posts: 25
Reply with quote  #5 
Bikeguy, Salsa has been doing stripe graphics on their bikes for years - the checkpoint just came out...
0
Okie Outdoorsman

Member
Registered:
Posts: 29
Reply with quote  #6 
My son and I went to Land Run 100, as spectators, last Saturday, and I got to check this bike out up front and personal at District Bicycle's Shop.  Was really impressed with features for the price!  Came back home, and ordered the 700C with Sora components.  Will pick it up this Saturday at my local bike shop. Will post picks, and a quick ride report after hitting the local gravel Saturday afternoon. 

For the record, I currently ride a Giant TCX Advanced Pro 2, and a Giant Revolt 1.  Have posted about both on this forum, and my blog, http://www.okieoutdoors.blogspot.com.

My son rides a Giant Anyroad CoMax, as well. 

This will be my first Salsa bike purchase.

Will post ride report soon!   
0
pauley

Member
Registered:
Posts: 53
Reply with quote  #7 
For the price point this bike looks good. Seems the right mix of entry level to get people started for this kind of riding. I like the super compact crank idea, the 50mm clearance for tires, and all the braze ons. The geometry seems about right too. I had an old Kona Jake with a Sora/Tiagra mix back when Tiagra was still 9 speed. And it shifted just fine. Not familiar with the brakes on this Journeyman. The option for the straight bars will appeal to some. Yes it blurs the line between the question is this an adventure/gravel bike or a hybrid? But who cares, in the end a bike is a bike so long as you have one that fits your needs and wants. 
0
Marinerecon

Member
Registered:
Posts: 63
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie Outdoorsman
My son and I went to Land Run 100, as spectators, last Saturday, and I got to check this bike out up front and personal at District Bicycle's Shop.  Was really impressed with features for the price!  Came back home, and ordered the 700C with Sora components.  Will pick it up this Saturday at my local bike shop. Will post picks, and a quick ride report after hitting the local gravel Saturday afternoon. 

For the record, I currently ride a Giant TCX Advanced Pro 2, and a Giant Revolt 1.  Have posted about both on this forum, and my blog, http://www.okieoutdoors.blogspot.com.

My son rides a Giant Anyroad CoMax, as well. 

This will be my first Salsa bike purchase.

Will post ride report soon!   
0
Marinerecon

Member
Registered:
Posts: 63
Reply with quote  #9 
Wasn’t the LR a blast? We were also there and I checked out the new offering from Salsa. What an awesome way to get a friend, partner or spouse involved at a price point that doesn’t require a 2nd mortgage. Bravo Salsa.
0
Okie Outdoorsman

Member
Registered:
Posts: 29
Reply with quote  #10 
Yes, sir, LR was a blast.  It was the first time I had attended.  I drove 2 and half hours just to be a spectator.  I had two of my grown sons there, as well, and we all had a GREAT time!  What a fantastic event.  Going to enter next year, and eve if I can't get in, then plan on attending anyway, once more, as a spectator.[biggrin]

0
Okie Outdoorsman

Member
Registered:
Posts: 29
Reply with quote  #11 
Picked-up my new bike, yesterday.  I got the 700c Sora Journeyman.  Was able to get in a 36 mile ride.  Took it though several different gravel conditions from big, chunky, rocky sections to loose and deep, freshly graded.  My initial impressions are:
  • Very comfortable ride and stable
  • Really like the low bottom bracket and upright riding position--feels planted
  • Accelerates good
  • Steering is a bit slower than the cross bike I am used to riding
  • Shifting is good--LOVE the granny gear of 30 in the front chain ring and 34 on the cassette
  • Love the WTB wheels with the 37mm Riddlers
I don't care for the WTB saddle.  Saddles are very subjective.  Am sure others will find it just fine.  

Very pleased, so far, with my new bike!  Will post more observations as I get some miles on it, and some longer rides.

Pictures, and more impressions, on my blog at:

http://www.okieoutdoors.blogspot.com


0
Okie Outdoorsman

Member
Registered:
Posts: 29
Reply with quote  #12 
1.jpg 
0
bobknh

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 791
Reply with quote  #13 
I've been eyeing the 650B version with 2" tires as an alternative to a hardtail mountain bike for riding the Class A trails in southern NH. The Class A trails are old farm and forest roads that aren't maintained and closed to cars. Depending on the season they are open to off road vehicles and snowmobiles and motorcycles. If you have good skills, you can handle these - all be it with some hike-a-bike - with a good gravel bike with 40mm gravel tires. Wish the wheels were TA's, but I guess that was one way that Salsa kept the cost so competitive. I was also considering a similar bike in steel - The Black Mountain Monster Cross. http://blackmtncycles.com/complete-bikes/monster-cross-bikes/
The Black Mountain Monster Cross is all steel canti brake throw back. I believe that frames are made in Taiwan by a high quality manufacturer. Almost twice the price of the Journeyman. Maybe I'm a sucker for retro, no BS old timers, but I think that if I go the Monster Cross route, I'll go with Black Mountain. I just like his story and philosophy: http://blackmtncycles.com/info/about/
0
bobknh

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 791
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie Outdoorsman
Picked-up my new bike, yesterday.  I got the 700c Sora Journeyman.  Was able to get in a 36 mile ride.  Took it though several different gravel conditions from big, chunky, rocky sections to loose and deep, freshly graded.  My initial impressions are:
  • Very comfortable ride and stable
  • Really like the low bottom bracket and upright riding position--feels planted
  • Accelerates good
  • Steering is a bit slower than the cross bike I am used to riding
  • Shifting is good--LOVE the granny gear of 30 in the front chain ring and 34 on the cassette
  • Love the WTB wheels with the 37mm Riddlers
I don't care for the WTB saddle.  Saddles are very subjective.  Am sure others will find it just fine.  

Very pleased, so far, with my new bike!  Will post more observations as I get some miles on it, and some longer rides.

Pictures, and more impressions, on my blog at:

http://www.okieoutdoors.blogspot.com



Thanks for the very thorough real world review. What are your thoughts about the 650B version?
0
Okie Outdoorsman

Member
Registered:
Posts: 29
Reply with quote  #15 
Thanks Bobknh.  It was a hard choice between the two for me.  I looked closely at the 650B version at LR100.  In fact, that is the version that my son would have chosen.  It definitely would be more cushion, and probably even more comfortable ride.  Only reason that I didn't go that route, is that I got the 700C version for riding in the harsh mud conditions that will probably be LR100 in 2019. I love all of that clearance in the 700C version.   

With that said, it wouldn't be too hard to score a set of 650B wheels and tires for it, and have the best of both worlds, somewhere down the line.  [biggrin][biggrin]  
0
bobknh

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 791
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie Outdoorsman
Thanks Bobknh.  It was a hard choice between the two for me.  I looked closely at the 650B version at LR100.  In fact, that is the version that my son would have chosen.  It definitely would be more cushion, and probably even more comfortable ride.  Only reason that I didn't go that route, is that I got the 700C version for riding in the harsh mud conditions that will probably be LR100 in 2019. I love all of that clearance in the 700C version.   

With that said, it wouldn't be too hard to score a set of 650B wheels and tires for it, and have the best of both worlds, somewhere down the line.  [biggrin][biggrin]  

Thanks for the info. Other than paint color, are the 650b and 700C versions identical?
0
Okie Outdoorsman

Member
Registered:
Posts: 29
Reply with quote  #17 
As far as I can tell they are.  
0
bobknh

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 791
Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie Outdoorsman
As far as I can tell they are.  

Thanks. Salsa seems to have hit a sweet spot in cost and function. Aesthetically, I'm still attracted to Black Mountain's steel Monstercross. But, functionally disc wheels and brakes which allow you to use both 700C and 650B wheels and tires, makes the Journeyman a much better choice. Of course your can buy 2 Journeyman for the cost of the Monstercross; not an insignificant consideration- especially for a bike that you only plan to use occasionally.
Here is a sort of Swan Song for us bike Luddites from Black Mountain's Blog: http://blackmtncycles.com/its-tough-being-a-luddite/
0
TimmyR

Member
Registered:
Posts: 82
Reply with quote  #19 
I have to say the pricepoint on the Journey Sora is attractive. I am looking to store a bike in FL since I'm there so much and want a bike that's good for road/gravel/light single-track/etc.

Seems like this is a great choice. How big of a tire will it hold on the 700c


__________________
Tim

------------------
Ride on! [cool]
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.