Jimbop
I'm zoning in on a new gravel frame and the one I keep coming back to is the Reilly Gradient but the guys at Reilly won't give out the frame weight for some reason. Does anyone have a medium or large and know the frame weight of it?
Quote 0 0
Rashad F
https://road.cc/content/review/221625-reilly-gradient-2017-graveladventure-bike?amp

It looks like Road.cc did a review a year or so ago and discussed the weight. It looks like a complete bike is around 9.3kg.
Quote 0 0
ljsmith
I would suspect you can’t get the weight because titanium frames are usually much heavier than you would expect so they don’t want to advertise it. I would guess it’s probably around 4 pounds.
Quote 0 0
Jimbop
Rashad F wrote:
https://road.cc/content/review/221625-reilly-gradient-2017-graveladventure-bike?amp

It looks like Road.cc did a review a year or so ago and discussed the weight. It looks like a complete bike is around 9.3kg.

Yup - good spot. I could probably reverse engineer the frame weight by trying to figure out most of the components but might be a bit hit and miss.
Quote 0 0
Jimbop
ljsmith wrote:
I would suspect you can’t get the weight because titanium frames are usually much heavier than you would expect so they don’t want to advertise it. I would guess it’s probably around 4 pounds.

So I agree that's probably the reason but it doesnt stack up as an argument - if you're seriously considering Ti over carbon (or alu or steel) then you're doing it because of the ride characteristics and durability probably and you might want to compare several Ti frames against each other to add that data into the decision making process. Hiding that info makes me assume that it's disproportionately heavy compared to the competition. Litespeed share their weights and if I had the money I'd probably plump for an Ultimate Gravel partly because of this. Anyhoo it's not earth shatteringly important but given that pretty much every cycling component you can buy features weight, it's a bit weird.
Quote 0 0
kafkathedog
Jimbop,
Depends how much in a rush you are but I am getting one soon (maybe 2-3 weeks)

I can weigh it without wheels, seatpost saddle etc so it shouldn't be hard to figure it roughly from there.


Quote 0 0
Jimbop
kafkathedog wrote:
Jimbop,
Depends how much in a rush you are but I am getting one soon (maybe 2-3 weeks)

I can weigh it without wheels, seatpost saddle etc so it shouldn't be hard to figure it roughly from there.



That’s super kind Kafka. Not in a rush - my current contract at work is feeling a bit sketchy so i'm waiting for that to settle or go sideways before ordering.

Actually - thinking on it more - if you listed out your build components and total weight then I could look up their ''official' weight and that would give me an idea.
Quote 0 0
Jimbop
kafkathedog wrote:
Jimbop,
Depends how much in a rush you are but I am getting one soon (maybe 2-3 weeks)

I can weigh it without wheels, seatpost saddle etc so it shouldn't be hard to figure it roughly from there.



Seasons greetings to you! Has Gradient arrived yet?  I have put in an order for a Lynskey GR270 because there is a 25% discount on it but I'm having buyer's remorse in that it's pretty heavy (1.86kg for an ML) and partly because i haven't ridden one and i'm kinda between sizes so I'm concerned i mightn't love/fit it.  Tempted to cancel my order and go ride a Gradient again.  Would love to know how much a Gradient weighs - if it's the same as a Lynskey then I might as well save a bit of money and go with it but i'm on the fence.
Quote 0 0
kafkathedog

Jim,
hadn't forgotten about you.
No haven't received it yet, was hoping to get it before Christmas. I have been fairly busy with the run up to the holidays too to chase up a date.
Hopefully it will be ready early in the new year but I guess that won't be much help to you.
I'm sure the Lynskey will be a good bike and I dont think id worry about a couple of hundred grams.
I'm not expecting the Gradient to be light to be honest

Cheers,
Kafkathedog

Quote 0 0
Jimbop
kafkathedog wrote:

Jim,
hadn't forgotten about you.
No haven't received it yet, was hoping to get it before Christmas. I have been fairly busy with the run up to the holidays too to chase up a date.
Hopefully it will be ready early in the new year but I guess that won't be much help to you.
I'm sure the Lynskey will be a good bike and I dont think id worry about a couple of hundred grams.
I'm not expecting the Gradient to be light to be honest

Cheers,
Kafkathedog


Good evening. Well I might end up joining you in Gradient world after all - turns out that the sale only applied to framesets and I only want a frame so the price when you add on duty and VAT is about the same as a Gradient. I don't know how they compare weight wise but I guess we'll find out. I just popped the guys at J Laverack a note asking to demo their new Grit - it's more money and the geometry looks a bit more upright, which mightnt be as good for fast (if I ever get good enough legs to go fast that is) road riding but I figured it's not a million miles away in price and i'm not in a hurry so why not try it. Have you gone for a complete bike or a frame/frameset?
Quote 0 0
kafkathedog
I'm going for half and half, not quite a full build.
Frameset+ groupset (ultegra)
I'm supplying wheels and bars etc, because I had some decent (nearly new) spares to hand.

The Laverack looks interesting but as you say it is a little upright. I was interested in the original Jack.
Quote 1 0
Jimbop
That sounds good. Mechanical or hydraulic Ultegra?

I'm sat on my hands not ordering a Gradient because Lynskey agreed to cancel my order and refund but then went quiet so I have to chase them up on Monday. Not the world's greatest communicators. 
Quote 0 0