abcspjbjd
First post, but I figured someone else out there would like to know about the 2018 Raleigh Willard 3 so here it is.  

I bought it from Raleigh on a crazy sale.  I ordered it on a Thursday and it was delivered the following Tuesday.  I was concerned about derailleur damage because of the posts of others and their experiences.  However, this bike was packaged and protected better than any bike I have seen in a box.   

This is the fourth bike I've put together, so I wasn't concerned about the build.  

IMG_2546.jpg 
Just a cover piece, not a box within a box.

IMG_2550.jpg 
This is a size 60, so it took up the entire box.

IMG_2553.jpg 
Foam blocks held on with velcro on the rear derailleur and the front tire against the frame.

IMG_2559.jpg 
Side view of derailleur protection.

IMG_2549.jpg
Handy box, with tubeless valves.  

IMG_2565.jpg
Nice crankset with a sticker I thought this was a nice touch.   Yes there was one for the other side for those who struggle with installing and removing pedals.  
 
As you can see, the packaging was nice.  There were pieces of foam and velcro straps where any piece touched the frame or box, ie rear derailleur, front tire, etc. 

Anyway, the build went smoothly, the only issue I had was the front brake cable was run under the down tube, which I re-routed to the front side of the headtube. Not sure why it was done that way, but no big deal. 

IMG_2557.jpg 

The rear derailleur didn't need any adjustments at all, and so far with the neighborhood shakedown ride, I am liking the 1x gearing.  This is my first time using SRAM road stuff, but I don't foresee it being a problem.  Click, release, it drops, click, push, it moves up.  Bingo.

Overall, I am impressed with this bike and the component selection.  Here is the ready to ride shot.  This bike is bright, I mean highlighter yellow bright.   

IMG_2577.jpg 
I'll post some obligatory ride pics soon.  

ab
Quote 5 0
pryde
Congrats and thanks for the post. This exact bike is on my radar along with the Fuji Jari series. How tall are you? I am 6'1" so right in between a 58 and 60cm.

Like you, I haven't used SRAM road shifters so not sure how I will like them. I also am in the mountains and still unsure of 1x gearing for a gravel bike (although I ride 1x11 on my mountain bike with no problem). 
Quote 0 0
abcspjbjd
I am 6'1" also.  The 60 was almost exactly the stack and reach numbers I needed based on my bike fit.  I may add a 120 stem, since the handlebars actually sweep backwards about 5-10mm making the reach a little shorter from the hoods.  

As far as the 1x, I love it.  Having ridden shimano 105 or ultegra stuff for years, I was a little concerned, but the shifting became intuitive pretty quick.  The biggest disadvantage with 1x is the same everyone says, big jumps between gears.  This is a bike I bought to just ride.  If I decide to do some organized event, I'll just deal with the gear jumps.  If you don't like it, you can get different front chainrings from Praxis for about $80.  


Quote 0 0
Zurichman
pryde wrote:
Congrats and thanks for the post. This exact bike is on my radar along with the Fuji Jari series. How tall are you? I am 6'1" so right in between a 58 and 60cm.

Like you, I haven't used SRAM road shifters so not sure how I will like them. I also am in the mountains and still unsure of 1x gearing for a gravel bike (although I ride 1x11 on my mountain bike with no problem). 


At my end I think the Raleigh's run a little bit large either that or I enjoy riding a shorter frame bike. All my roadie bikes are Lemonds in 57 CM I bought a 59 cm Lemond and it was too big for me. I am 6 ft with a long arm reach at 34-35 inches. I have 2 Raleigh's a 2016 Tamland 1 56 cm and just bought a 2017 Raleigh Roker Comp also 56 cm. I am finally getting use to the Sram 1x but if I had it to do over again I might have bought the Roker Sport which is 2x Shimano If you have a Raleigh dealer close to you maybe you should go and get sizing. They might not have the WIllard 3 in stock but should have something close that you could check for sizing.

Good luck
Zman
If it was easy it wouldn't be a memory. You just hope you don't have all your memories in the same ride. been there dun that Zman
Quote 2 0
abcspjbjd
Obligatory ride pics.  
IMG_2582.jpg 
This is a good sign.  No cars for a few miles.  

IMG_2595.jpg 
Nice long hardpack section to stretch the legs.  

I'm going to enjoy exploring with this bike.
Quote 2 0
No Mojo
Congrats on the new ride!
Ride Hard - Live Easy
Quote 0 0
Zurichman
We certainly have the weather or those kind of roads to ride here in the tundras land right now in Pa. Hoping spring gets here soon. Congrats on the ride. Love my Raleigh's for for sure. Where are you riding now?

Zman
If it was easy it wouldn't be a memory. You just hope you don't have all your memories in the same ride. been there dun that Zman
Quote 0 0
abcspjbjd
I live in South Carolina, so fortunately I can ride year round.  It's rare that we get snow or ice.  Lots of Forest Service land nearby.
Quote 0 0
pryde
abcspjbjd wrote:
I live in South Carolina, so fortunately I can ride year round.  It's rare that we get snow or ice.  Lots of Forest Service land nearby.


I am north of you in the WNC mountains. We have had a bit more snow and rain than usual up here this winter but the trails and forest roads are in great shape right now. 


I am healing from a broken wrist (mountain bike crash a few weeks ago) so unfortunately will be on the shelf for a while longer. With that i am taking the time to research a gravel bike. I appreciate the photos and sizing info. I will likely go with a 58cm if I get a Willard as it better matches the stack/reach of my current road bike.




Quote 0 0
Zurichman
Not sure what the weight of the Willard 3 is as they didn't list the weight on it. I know that the Tamland 1 weighs 25 lbs. in a 56 cm and is a pretty sweet bike and has a little bit better components.

Zman
If it was easy it wouldn't be a memory. You just hope you don't have all your memories in the same ride. been there dun that Zman
Quote 0 0
dangle
Thanks for the share abcspjbjd! I didn't even realize there was a 2018 version coming. It hurts me that they didn't pony up for the full hydraulic, but otherwise that looks like a really, really good spec at that price point. Their sister brand Diamondback has a near identically specced Haanjo Comp with the hydro brakes for about the same price. The Willard 4 not on hydros seems strange too. I just feel like 2018 is getting to be a little late for bikes in the 4 figure range to not have a hydraulic brake option.

The highlighter yellow is a really cool color! Painting some fenders to match that green/blue accent would look really cool. I'm absolutely sold on fenders for anything but the driest gravel rides now.
Quote 0 0
RoverAl
I like the color, I saw that sale and was thinking about adding another Willard. Nice bike I enjoy my 2016 Willard. Looks like some nice upgrades, crank, cable routing. No problems with my Willard just normal wear and tear. How’s the saddle on this one?
Quote 0 0
abcspjbjd
I agree on the upgrades from the 2017 to the 2018, especially the crank and bottom bracket.  The seat is actually quite comfortable, so I doubt I will change it out.  
Quote 0 0
Sbutler6
Really nice bike! I’m going to pull the trigger on the same model in the next few days, I’m glad to see you’re happy with yours. I have a question about the sizing. I’m 5’11-6’ ish, so right between 56 and 58. Do you find this bike runs larger or smaller compared to anything else you’ve had in the past? I used to ride a Giant Defy in M/L, so I’m leaning towards getting a 56, but seeing you on a 60 has me doubting that decision.

Thanks for any suggestions, and enjoy that thing!
Quote 0 0
abcspjbjd
Sbutler6, my advice is to talk to Tyler at Raleigh.  He has helped me with various questions about the roker, tamland and willard.  If you go by their height guidelines you would be a 58.  I would say most will think it is a big bike, mainly because the top tube arches upward, which reduces exposed seatpost and also increases standover.  

The 60 fits me perfect, but I knew it would based on the stack and reach numbers.  

Awesome bike, hope you enjoy it.  

Dangle, I also wonder why there weren't hydraulics spec'd, but guess it may have something to do with being able to do a field repair of a mechanical vs hydro brake.  

Quote 0 0
Zurichman
Sbutler6 wrote:
Really nice bike! I’m going to pull the trigger on the same model in the next few days, I’m glad to see you’re happy with yours. I have a question about the sizing. I’m 5’11-6’ ish, so right between 56 and 58. Do you find this bike runs larger or smaller compared to anything else you’ve had in the past? I used to ride a Giant Defy in M/L, so I’m leaning towards getting a 56, but seeing you on a 60 has me doubting that decision. Thanks for any suggestions, and enjoy that thing!


I think the bike is a personal fit thingy. That being said I always have ridden size 57 cm Lemonds and bought a 59 and it was too big of a bike. I have bought 2 Raleighs now

2016 Raleigh Tamland 1
2017 Raleigh Roker Comp

both in size 56 and they fit me perfect. I am 6 ft. with a 34-35 inch  shirt inseam length. Good luck in whatever you buy. Maybe there is a Raleigh dealer close to you that you can set over a bike. That is what I did and enjoying my Roker the best.

Zman
If it was easy it wouldn't be a memory. You just hope you don't have all your memories in the same ride. been there dun that Zman
Quote 0 0
Sbutler6
Thanks for the input. I ended up ordering a 56cm after comparing some numbers between my old Defy and the Willard. Don't know why I didn't think to do that earlier. 

Just an FYI for anyone looking, the Willard 3 is going for $912 on Amazon (sold through Aventuron). I was on the fence about getting it but that was too good of a deal to pass up. 
Quote 0 0
Zurichman
Sbutler6 wrote:
Thanks for the input. I ended up ordering a 56cm after comparing some numbers between my old Defy and the Willard. Don't know why I didn't think to do that earlier. 

Just an FYI for anyone looking, the Willard 3 is going for $912 on Amazon (sold through Aventuron). I was on the fence about getting it but that was too good of a deal to pass up. 


So curious at  my end what the difference is between the Willard 3 and the Tamland 1?


Zman
If it was easy it wouldn't be a memory. You just hope you don't have all your memories in the same ride. been there dun that Zman
Quote 0 0
frontrangegravel
abcspjbjd,
These are good posts. Thanks for the pics and info. Much appreciated!
Quote 1 0
Zurichman
frontrangegravel wrote:
abcspjbjd,
These are good posts. Thanks for the pics and info. Much appreciated!


I agree thanks for the posts. Almost makes me want to buy the bike for that yellow color. The trouble is I already bought 2 Raleigh's this last year. 😃


Zman
If it was easy it wouldn't be a memory. You just hope you don't have all your memories in the same ride. been there dun that Zman
Quote 0 0
abcspjbjd
Zurichman wrote:


So curious at  my end what the difference is between the Willard 3 and the Tamland 1?


Zman


The obvious differences are the tamland is steel the willard aluminum. Tamland has 2x Drivetrain willard a 1x. Tires on the willard are 40s, on the tamland 32s. The praxis crank and bottom bracket on the willard are superior to the unnamed crank of the tamland. I really wanted the Willard 4 but getting a Willard 3 at almost 56% off was a deal I couldn't pass up.
Quote 0 0
Sbutler6
If you don’t mind me asking, where was this deal? I’m guessing it’s long gone now
Quote 0 0
abcspjbjd
Sbutler6 wrote:
If you don’t mind me asking, where was this deal? I’m guessing it’s long gone now


It was on the Raleigh corporate partner site. I checked it one afternoon before I left work and it was marked down to $649. I used the save5 code to get an additional 5% off, to 617.49. I got lucky being on the site at the right time. Hard not to buy the bike when it was that price. Next best deal is the Amazon price you have.
Quote 1 0
Sbutler6
abcspjbjd wrote:


It was on the Raleigh corporate partner site. I checked it one afternoon before I left work and it was marked down to $649. I used the save5 code to get an additional 5% off, to 617.49. I got lucky being on the site at the right time. Hard not to buy the bike when it was that price. Next best deal is the Amazon price you have.


Wow that’s amazing, you basically stole it from them. I’m having a little bit of buyers remorse now lol. Hopefully the price drops to $649 again in the next couple of months and the credit card I used will refund me the difference.
Quote 0 0
jjbnum3
Zurichman wrote:


At my end I think the Raleigh's run a little bit large either that or I enjoy riding a shorter frame bike. 

Good luck Zman


I agree about the sizing.But everyone is different.
I have A long trunk for my height 6' 2 1/2".
I can ride either A 60 or 58 cm. But prefer A 58 for the short st and just add A longer stem if needed.

abcspjbjd wrote:
It was on the Raleigh corporate partner site. I checked it one afternoon before I left work and it was marked down to $649. I used the save5 code to get an additional 5% off, to 617.49. I got lucky being on the site at the right time. Hard not to buy the bike when it was that price. Next best deal is the Amazon price you have.


That is A great deal.I also like the yellow.I think it was the Tamland 1 priced at $800 for A short time and limited sizes not too long ago on the Raleigh site.

I seen some crazy low prices on some other models.Most on Amazon and Urban type bikes.

Sbutler6 wrote:
Really nice bike! I’m going to pull the trigger on the same model in the next few days, I’m glad to see you’re happy with yours. I have a question about the sizing. I’m 5’11-6’ ish, so right between 56 and 58. Do you find this bike runs larger or smaller compared to anything else you’ve had in the past? I used to ride a Giant Defy in M/L, so I’m leaning towards getting a 56, but seeing you on a 60 has me doubting that decision. Thanks for any suggestions, and enjoy that thing!


What is your height and bike inseam?They have a lot online bike fit sites.
Not sure what ones are the best.I use my older Obrea road bike as A guide.
As it fits me the best.I'm not even sure what size it is.
I see you went with A 56 about the same size as you Defy.Looks like a good fit.

abcspjbjd wrote:
The obvious differences are the tamland is steel the willard aluminum. Tamland has 2x Drivetrain willard a 1x. Tires on the willard are 40s, on the tamland 32s. The praxis crank and bottom bracket on the willard are superior to the unnamed crank of the tamland. I really wanted the Willard 4 but getting a Willard 3 at almost 56% off was a deal I couldn't pass up.


The Tamland 2 comes with 40s.Not sure why the different sizes,same frame.
I bought A few sets of Praxis 2x cranks (new,but sold 2nd hand),have not tired them out yet.

Interesting the Willard has HED Eroica bars,stem,etc.Are they same cost savings parts that are on most other bikes?



Quote 0 0