The Riding Gravel Forum
Register Calendar Latest Topics Chat
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Zurichman

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 458
Reply with quote  #1 
Ok so I finally unwrapped my Raleigh Roker Comp bike tonight. Really disappointed. The rear derailleur is really bent into the spokes. I guess I have to take the bike to an authorized Raleigh dealer now which I didn't want to do. My main question is even though he probably could straighten it out if it was your bike would you make Raleigh ship you a new derailleur? Even if it is straightened out will the derailleur ever be the same?

Thanks 
Zman

__________________
If it was easy it wouldn't be a memory. You just hope you don't have all your memories in the same ride. been there dun that Zman
0
Zurichman

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 458
Reply with quote  #2 
I see that there is an arm that the derailleur is fastened to this is what is bent. It actually has a part number listed on it I guess for lots of people to order. not lol I guess I need them to ship this part to me.



Thanks
Zman

__________________
If it was easy it wouldn't be a memory. You just hope you don't have all your memories in the same ride. been there dun that Zman
0
Fishman

Starter
Registered:
Posts: 7
Reply with quote  #3 
Sorry to hear about the damaged hanger. I would contact Raleigh and ask for a replacement hanger to be shipped. I would also get a spare. Carry the spare in a saddle bag or tape it to the frame in case something happens out on a ride.
0
rocthrower

Member
Registered:
Posts: 39
Reply with quote  #4 
I agree with Fishman and get an extra hanger.  The good news is it's just the hanger that bent, but that is still disappointing on a brand new ride.  In the meantime, you could try removing the hanger and straightening it in vise.  Shifting might not be perfect, but it might allow you to get out and ride while you are waiting on the replacements.
0
Zurichman

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 458
Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks for the replies. On a bike this expensive I can't deal with it being screwed up from the get go. I am taking it back to my Raleigh Dealer which is about 10+ miles away and Raleigh is sending a Fedex shipping tag for a return. The box was opened and guessing Fedex wasn't too careful and threw weight on top of it. When I was setting the bike up I spun the rear wheel hard and heard a clicking noise so I am not sure if there are any damaged spokes or not.

When I called Raleigh today it seems they have lots in stock(in all sizes)yet as they had a late production run on these bikes. Last time I had talked to them they had something like 24 Rokers in stock of the 56 cm frame.

So where would I order the extra hangar from? Some place like Jenson USA or Art's Cyclery. I don't have lots of experience yet ordering gravel riding/racing parts.

Thanks
Zman

__________________
If it was easy it wouldn't be a memory. You just hope you don't have all your memories in the same ride. been there dun that Zman
0
Fishman

Starter
Registered:
Posts: 7
Reply with quote  #6 
I would check with your local Raleigh dealer first about the spare hanger. See if they have or can get one. It's good to support them and it's good to build a relationship since you may have questions and need service in the future.

If that does not work try here:  https://derailleurhanger.com/

The hanger for the Roker is not listed. Call/email them to get the correct one. 

Good luck.
0
dangle

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 143
Reply with quote  #7 
It's just a cheap piece of metal designed to bend/break instead of the frame. Raleigh will tell you to go through a local dealer to get another hanger, but hopefully would be willing to just mail you one if it's truly bent so much that the RD is in the spokes. The actual derailleur is fine.

While a RD in the spokes is incredibly drastic, very few bikes come out of the box with a perfectly straight hanger. Maybe have your local shop look it over to see if they see anything wrong with the rear wheel or anything else. I have no idea why you would hear a clicking noise when spinning the wheel "hard" but I'm also not sure that would be a fantastic idea in the first place when your RD is "bent into the spokes."

If it's actually just slightly bent, pay the local shop $10 to straighten it and then be done with it. Maybe you have an acquaintance that already owns the alignment tool and would do it for a coffee/beer/pat on the head? I haven't met anybody that owns the hanger straightening tool that regrets buying it. I love mine and it goes on nearly every bike that goes into my stand.

Returning a full bike and making somebody ship you a new one seems like a tremendous waste of resources, especially after giving you an incredible price on that bike. It's not like their corporate discount program was intended for people that don't have any affiliation with the industry.
0
knl2stl

Member
Registered:
Posts: 50
Reply with quote  #8 
Sorry that you got a bike that either got a part banged up either at the factory or during shipping.  But yea, it is just a hanger. Every bike out of a box should have hanger alignment checked, just like derailleur limits, and all that.  The primary reason that oversea bike manufactures assemble bikes is so that they fit in a box for shipping, not so you can just pull it out, put in the seat post and peddles, twist bars, pump up tires, and ride.  The tool is pretty cheap and pays for itself in the end.  

Hope you can ride it soon.  
0
Zurichman

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 458
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangle
It's just a cheap piece of metal designed to bend/break instead of the frame. Raleigh will tell you to go through a local dealer to get another hanger, but hopefully would be willing to just mail you one if it's truly bent so much that the RD is in the spokes. The actual derailleur is fine.

While a RD in the spokes is incredibly drastic, very few bikes come out of the box with a perfectly straight hanger. Maybe have your local shop look it over to see if they see anything wrong with the rear wheel or anything else. I have no idea why you would hear a clicking noise when spinning the wheel "hard" but I'm also not sure that would be a fantastic idea in the first place when your RD is "bent into the spokes."

If it's actually just slightly bent, pay the local shop $10 to straighten it and then be done with it. Maybe you have an acquaintance that already owns the alignment tool and would do it for a coffee/beer/pat on the head? I haven't met anybody that owns the hanger straightening tool that regrets buying it. I love mine and it goes on nearly every bike that goes into my stand.

Returning a full bike and making somebody ship you a new one seems like a tremendous waste of resources, especially after giving you an incredible price on that bike. It's not like their corporate discount program was intended for people that don't have any affiliation with the industry.


Thanks Dangle for that info. Still learning the ins and outs of gravel bikes. So yeah I called Raleigh and asked them to ship a new hanger for the bike instead of shipping bikes back and forth. I guess I was just frustrated to see the new bike so messed up or what I thought was messed up. What I do know from the get go is it feels like a feather compared to the Tamland 1.

Thanks
Zman

__________________
If it was easy it wouldn't be a memory. You just hope you don't have all your memories in the same ride. been there dun that Zman
0
dangle

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 143
Reply with quote  #10 
Good to hear. I'm glad they found a solution pretty quickly. I'm sure a lot of people land on these pages when searching for info on the Raleigh Roker, so please keep updating.
0
squak

Starter
Registered:
Posts: 10
Reply with quote  #11 
I also received my Roker Comp with a bent derailleur hanger.  No what you want to find when you unbox a brand new bike, but installing the new hanger is a simple fix.  I was able to straighten mine enough to make the bike rideable which was a good thing because it took 3 weeks to get a replacement hanger.

Enjoy the new bike!
0
Zurichman

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 458
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by squak
I also received my Roker Comp with a bent derailleur hanger.  No what you want to find when you unbox a brand new bike, but installing the new hanger is a simple fix.  I was able to straighten mine enough to make the bike rideable which was a good thing because it took 3 weeks to get a replacement hanger.

Enjoy the new bike!


Yowser squak where did the part come from China or Tim Buck Two that it took 3 weeks. I did call my Raleigh dealer this morning and he said he might have the part on another bike as he is a big time Raleigh dealer. Sounds like I need to go that route.

Thanks
Zman

__________________
If it was easy it wouldn't be a memory. You just hope you don't have all your memories in the same ride. been there dun that Zman
0
NoCoGreg

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 168
Reply with quote  #13 
Zman - lots of good posts...  Having a derailleur hanger alignment tool is great. I recently purchased my 2nd one (loaned to first to someone and never saw it again)...  It's very easy to use and hangers are easy to damage.

General rule of thumb is that the hanger doesn't have much stress on it until something else goes wrong (chain suck, debris in the drivetrain, crashes, etc) so my philosophy on a bent hanger is to try to fix it by bending it back in place.

Hangers are made of aluminum so they'll bend before the frame is damaged.

Aluminum does NOT like to be bent many times - bending an aluminum hanger back may cause the aluminum to crack or break.

-BUT-

If the hanger doesn't break when you bend it back the bike can be ridden.  So if the LBS can get the current hanger bent back you should be fine until the replacement arrives.  I would definitely replace the bent hanger but I wouldn't hesitate to ride a bike which has an aluminum hanger which was re-bent.  I also subscribe to the philosophy to buy a spare hanger.  Having a spare almost guarantees the original won't get damaged (it's a corollary to Murphy's Law). :-)

Enjoy!
Greg
0
dangle

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 143
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCoGreg
General rule of thumb is that the hanger doesn't have much stress on it until something else goes wrong (chain suck, debris in the drivetrain, crashes, etc) so my philosophy on a bent hanger is to try to fix it by bending it back in place.

Hangers are made of aluminum so they'll bend before the frame is damaged.

Aluminum does NOT like to be bent many times - bending an aluminum hanger back may cause the aluminum to crack or break.

-BUT-

If the hanger doesn't break when you bend it back the bike can be ridden.  So if the LBS can get the current hanger bent back you should be fine until the replacement arrives.  I would definitely replace the bent hanger but I wouldn't hesitate to ride a bike which has an aluminum hanger which was re-bent.  I also subscribe to the philosophy to buy a spare hanger.  Having a spare almost guarantees the original won't get damaged (it's a corollary to Murphy's Law). :-)

Enjoy!
Greg


Greg summed it up perfectly. I would go one step further and not bother swapping the 'replacement' hanger with the original one unless it somehow broke. Any bike shop can have it bent back into place (and perfectly aligned) within a couple minutes. If it's straight, you're good to go. Then it's "Don't try to fix what ain't broken." from there on out.
0
Zurichman

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 458
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCoGreg
Zman - lots of good posts...  Having a derailleur hanger alignment tool is great. I recently purchased my 2nd one (loaned to first to someone and never saw it again)...  It's very easy to use and hangers are easy to damage.

General rule of thumb is that the hanger doesn't have much stress on it until something else goes wrong (chain suck, debris in the drivetrain, crashes, etc) so my philosophy on a bent hanger is to try to fix it by bending it back in place.

Hangers are made of aluminum so they'll bend before the frame is damaged.

Aluminum does NOT like to be bent many times - bending an aluminum hanger back may cause the aluminum to crack or break.

-BUT-

If the hanger doesn't break when you bend it back the bike can be ridden.  So if the LBS can get the current hanger bent back you should be fine until the replacement arrives.  I would definitely replace the bent hanger but I wouldn't hesitate to ride a bike which has an aluminum hanger which was re-bent.  I also subscribe to the philosophy to buy a spare hanger.  Having a spare almost guarantees the original won't get damaged (it's a corollary to Murphy's Law). :-)

Enjoy!
Greg


Greg and Dangle thanks for the advice. I have a few things going against me with this shop. First the guy is a Mennonite guy so he doesn't see too many high end gravel bikes or any gravel bikes at all . Most of his customers now ride the bents. You both have heard of the squeaky wheel gets greased. After 2-3 phone calls or more now to Raleigh Leif there seems to  have the most on the ball. Just checked with my LBS and he isn't going to take a hanger off another Raleigh and do that for a fix for now. He said that hangar wasn't quite the same as on the Roker and would make getting the wheel off harder. So that is a temporary fix. Leif has him hooked up and is sending the part to him from CA. So probably 4-5 days instead of 3 weeks turn around time that another person posted above. The one guy I called today said the easiest/quickest/fastest way to get everything done was for me to just pay for the labor cost and then submit it to Raleigh and I am good with that. I do use another LBS that sees/works on lots of Mt. bikes but he isn't a Raleigh dealer. I would have loved to taken the bike to him I think he is a Giant dealer and something else. He also rides mt. bikes My Raleigh dealer wasn't comfortable bending the bracket back as it was bent really bad but there again he probably doesn't have experience doing that.

This week is the last week of buck season here in Pa. The only gravel I have to ride is in the mts. All I know at my end is I am out of shape almost as much as I can be and I want to climb the local mt.(3 miles @n 7-8% grade to see the difference in the bike between the Roker and the Tamland. There is a bad cold front moving in at the end of the week so yeah it is kind of time sensitive for me to get the bike back and try it out. I can't seem to be able to ride in the cold like I use to now that I am older. I am going to try riding thru the winter this season though but don't know how that is going to work out.

I am sure I will have lots of other newbie questions on this Roker but I do have one now. I came across an article where some people but protection on the underneath side of the down tube. One article showed the brand name Lizzard skins and they have 2 guards. One is a sleeve that they said would absorb too much oil and gunk if I read it right and another that they recommended was a leather guard to put on the bottom half to help protect the carbon from lots of stone chips which in time could weaken the carbon wrap. Has anybody ever used that or seen a bike with that on it?

Thanks
Zman

__________________
If it was easy it wouldn't be a memory. You just hope you don't have all your memories in the same ride. been there dun that Zman
0
dangle

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 143
Reply with quote  #16 
Wait a second.... We're all mostly in agreement that taking 5 minutes and a couple dollars to attempt bending the hanger back at ANY bike shop is the way to go. Did any shop actually look at it? Why wouldn't they at least TRY it since the alternative is tossing it out?

Ask for advice, ignore advice, change subject. Boo.
0
Zurichman

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 458
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangle
Wait a second.... We're all mostly in agreement that taking 5 minutes and a couple dollars to attempt bending the hanger back at ANY bike shop is the way to go. Did any shop actually look at it? Why wouldn't they at least TRY it since the alternative is tossing it out? Ask for advice, ignore advice, change subject. Boo.


Maybe I didn't state it right or whatever. It is at a Raleigh shop which probably doesn't have any gravel bike experience. I had to take it to him because of the warranty issues instead of taking it to the shop that does lots of mt. bikes/gravel bikes. He wasn't comfortable bending the hangar back again probably because he hasn't done that before. He is taking off another mt. bike(or another Raleigh bike as I don't know what he is taking it off of) a hangar that is somewhat similar but isn't the exact same one. Raleigh is sending him the replacement part. If he doesn't have to send the part back to Raleigh I might try to bend it back in place in my vise or just order another extra hangar from Raleigh.

I will kind of say this though. The hangar was probably bent more than most as it was at least bent in half or more tight up against the spokes. This is why he probably didn't want to try and straighten it maybe.


Zman

__________________
If it was easy it wouldn't be a memory. You just hope you don't have all your memories in the same ride. been there dun that Zman
0
NoCoGreg

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 168
Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurichman

I will kind of say this though. The hangar was probably bent more than most as it was at least bent in half or more tight up against the spokes. This is why he probably didn't want to try and straighten it maybe.


Yeah, if it was bent that much it probably will break if you bend it back but I'm in agreement with Dangle that I would've had the shop give it a try.  A good mechanic should be able to break the hanger in 5 minutes and another 15 or so to do a good job bending and aligning it should it not snap.  In any case, you've got a new hanger on order and should be on the road soon.  

So where in PA are you?  I used to live in Athens, PA (NY border south of Ithaca).  Beautiful country and endless hills.  The races in the RAAM (Race Across AMerica) used to write about how they dreaded PA as it was non-stop climbing as the descents were quick and there was little or no break between the bottom of one hill and the beginning of the next.  

Greg 
0
Zurichman

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 458
Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCoGreg


Yeah, if it was bent that much it probably will break if you bend it back but I'm in agreement with Dangle that I would've had the shop give it a try.  A good mechanic should be able to break the hanger in 5 minutes and another 15 or so to do a good job bending and aligning it should it not snap.  In any case, you've got a new hanger on order and should be on the road soon.  

So where in PA are you?  I used to live in Athens, PA (NY border south of Ithaca).  Beautiful country and endless hills.  The races in the RAAM (Race Across AMerica) used to write about how they dreaded PA as it was non-stop climbing as the descents were quick and there was little or no break between the bottom of one hill and the beginning of the next.  

Greg 

I live in Mid Penn along the I-81 corridor. Newburg which is about a 50 mile radius of farming country(close to Shippensburg) 50 miles from Harrisburg and I can see the turnpike tunnels from my house Blue Mt. 150 miles from Philly and the same distance to Pittsburgh. Think Amish country and yes we do have some hills here. I live about 30 miles from the Rouserville T/S of RAAM(Blondies Bar) and when I raced RAAM. My 4 man team left me ride that stretch from Mercersburg to Waynesboro as I had some friends waiting there for me. I think the riders are cooked by the time they reached Pa. and around Hancock Md. there were some nasty climbs also.

Thanks
Zman 

__________________
If it was easy it wouldn't be a memory. You just hope you don't have all your memories in the same ride. been there dun that Zman
0
zimdba

Starter
Registered:
Posts: 19
Reply with quote  #20 
I'll throw in my $0.02.  I think that if your LBS is too afraid to bend a hanger, then they're not much of an LBS.  That should be a common skill.  Also, I would worry that it would never be as perfect as it should be.

Thus, I had Raleigh send me not only a new hanger, but a new RD as well.
0
Zurichman

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 458
Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimdba
I'll throw in my $0.02.  I think that if your LBS is too afraid to bend a hanger, then they're not much of an LBS.  That should be a common skill.  Also, I would worry that it would never be as perfect as it should be.

Thus, I had Raleigh send me not only a new hanger, but a new RD as well.


Well as I posted above this isn't the LBS I wanted to go to by choice as he has little or probably no gravel bike/mt bike repair experience. I had to go to him since it was a warranty issue and he is the only Raleigh dealer around. The other LBS I use is a die hard mt. biker and every time I am in there I see him working on gravel bikes or mt bikes. The Raleigh LBS is in his early 20's and taking over the business from a relative. I think I can trust him on my road bike although a couple of years ago I wouldn't have as he messed my bike up and it failed in the middle of a 300k rando ride. He has learned the skill/trade I guess I would say. It is hard to find a good shop here in rural Pa. 

What is anybody else's opinion on whether they would have Raleigh ship them a RD as well?

zimba are you saying you had the same problem and had Raleigh send you a RD or if it was your bike that is what you would  have had done?

Thanks
Zman

__________________
If it was easy it wouldn't be a memory. You just hope you don't have all your memories in the same ride. been there dun that Zman
0
dangle

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 143
Reply with quote  #22 
What is anybody else's opinion on whether they would have Raleigh ship them a RD as well?

It's ridiculous and borderline entitlement.
0
Zurichman

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 458
Reply with quote  #23 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangle
What is anybody else's opinion on whether they would have Raleigh ship them a RD as well? It's ridiculous and borderline entitlement.


That is all I need to hear thanks. Waiting at my end for the bike to be fixed so I hopefully can get a ride in before winter sets in. Thanks Dangle.


Zman 

__________________
If it was easy it wouldn't be a memory. You just hope you don't have all your memories in the same ride. been there dun that Zman
0
NoCoGreg

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 168
Reply with quote  #24 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurichman


That is all I need to hear thanks. Waiting at my end for the bike to be fixed so I hopefully can get a ride in before winter sets in. Thanks Dangle.
Zman 


Yeah Zman, same opinion here.  If there isn't obvious significant damage to the RD, then until the new hanger is installed it's probably impossible to say if there was any damage to the RD.

Cheers,
Greg
0
Zurichman

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 458
Reply with quote  #25 
This is my first impression of the bike way before I have it out for a road test. I have a really nice road/race bike. A 2006 Lemond Victoirre of course all of which they don't make anymore because of the Lemond/Lance Armstrong feud. It's top tube is carbon until 1/2 way down and then it is glued together and the entire bottom 1/2 is all ti. It's a triple here for Pa. and for sure is a sweet riding/climbing bike.

The Roker. I had never seen one before so I was kind of shocked on how over sized/large the down tube is. I can say for a fact that it sure seems light as a feather(compared to the Tamland)and so I am really anxious to go out and climb with it to see how it does. Never having hydraulic brakes before has  me stoked also. Even if it is freezing out I probably will drive the car to the mts. with the bike in the back to get the climb in to see how it does. The road is really a nasty wash board/rough fire tower mt. road that they do no maintenance on and is pretty nasty coming off of it because of all the washboards and ruts. There are a couple of places that you have to stand up to crank a few places on the climb so it should be a good test of the bike and the tire combo. It's a 3 mile climb @ 7-8% slope.

Zman

__________________
If it was easy it wouldn't be a memory. You just hope you don't have all your memories in the same ride. been there dun that Zman
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.