The Riding Gravel Forum
Sign up Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 2 of 3      Prev   1   2   3   Next
AmericanTemplar

Member
Registered:
Posts: 30
Reply with quote  #26 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyBoni


The listed weight is 320g, how did they do that? [eek]


The Compass 38's are significantly bigger than the GK 38's.  I haven' measured with calipers but my guess is that the GK's are actually 38's while the Compass are closer to 40 as I could barely fit them into my Ridley X-trail.  Anyway, I weighed one of my GK's and it was 320 as advertised and the Compass 38 was 400.  The Compass was fairly worn but also had some sealant residue stuck to it, whereas the GK was brand new.

Anyway, I've ridden the GK 700x38's for about 120 miles now and I'm not really loving them after riding the Compass.  At the same PSI the GK's are considerably harsher and don't have the same feel off road.  I'll probably just go back to paying double for Compass.  Anyway, my question is:  given that the GK's have stiffer sidewalls, can I drop the pressure?  I was running 40/45 on the Compass and wondering if the GK's might function better at a lower pressure.  What pressure are people running in the GK Slick 38's?  For reference I'm 175 lbs.


0
sgtrobo

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 146
Reply with quote  #27 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanTemplar

 Anyway, my question is:  given that the GK's have stiffer sidewalls, can I drop the pressure?  I was running 40/45 on the Compass and wondering if the GK's might function better at a lower pressure.  What pressure are people running in the GK Slick 38's?  For reference I'm 175 lbs.


I'm 225 lbs and I'm running about 8 psi lower front/rear than you.  If I were you, I'd drop to 35r/30f and have a go
0
chas

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 468
Reply with quote  #28 
Well, supple tries work better at low pressure. You can run a stiff tire at low pressure, but the rolling resistance will go up more.
0
BrownDog

Member
Registered:
Posts: 77
Reply with quote  #29 
I weight 175 and am running 30/35. The GK is much stiffer than the Compass.
0
AmericanTemplar

Member
Registered:
Posts: 30
Reply with quote  #30 
Do you guys find the tires to perform well on and off road at pressures that low? I let some air out on a sketchy dirt descent the other day and while they felt better on the dirt, the handling felt a little vague when I got back on pavement.
0
HollyBoni

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 209
Reply with quote  #31 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanTemplar
Do you guys find the tires to perform well on and off road at pressures that low? I let some air out on a sketchy dirt descent the other day and while they felt better on the dirt, the handling felt a little vague when I got back on pavement.


Same here. The lowest I run is 34psi in the back and 30 in the front with 37mm Vittoria Voyager Hypers. While they're great offroad, at pressures that low they feel a bit weird on pavement. It feels like when I turn the handlebars there is a slight delay until the bike actually reacts, and when I pedal sometimes I can feel the back end of the bike bouncing. 

0
Volsung

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 261
Reply with quote  #32 

32842186_10155617024103358_6938477434274578432_n.jpg 

Anyone else have abnormalities in their tires?  I mounted up my friend's 38s and there's an air pocket between the tread and the casing.  It looks fine from the inside of the tire.

 

My mechanic says it's nothing to worry about but I'm kinda worried it'll tear and rip away.


0
BrownDog

Member
Registered:
Posts: 77
Reply with quote  #33 
I have had no issues with mine. I would not want to ride on that. I would send a picture to Panaracer.
0
simplemind

Avatar / Picture

Member
Registered:
Posts: 58
Reply with quote  #34 

 


Totally unacceptable...get it warranted!
0
bobknh

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 791
Reply with quote  #35 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownDog
I have had no issues with mine. I would not want to ride on that. I would send a picture to Panaracer.

I agree. I believe that these tires are hand made - or at least there is a lot of manual work involved. That tire looks like it clearly defective. If your dealer or supplier won't warranty the tire for you, then contact Panaracer USA here: https://www.panaracer.com/contact/
0
HollyBoni

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 209
Reply with quote  #36 

That's a nice pimple!

I don't care if it actually does anything or not, I would send the tyre back for warranty ASAP. 

0
Volsung

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 261
Reply with quote  #37 
Panaracer is sending out a replacement this week. They don't recommend riding it in it's current condition but I think it'll last the few road miles it'll see.

Also, Panaracer responds to inquiries FAST.
0
AmericanTemplar

Member
Registered:
Posts: 30
Reply with quote  #38 
Has anyone else had trouble setting them up tubeless?  I wasn't able to get them set up on Hed Belgium Plus rims.  Tried both a compressor and one of those tubeless pumps with the pressure chamber.  I've been running the pressure at 35/40 and pinch flatted in a race on Saturday early in the race and it kinda ruined my day.  I flatted on them on the previous race on them from a piece of glass.  I've inspected them closely against the Compass and the reason the GK's are lighter in spite of having a heavier casing is that the thread is much thinner.  The feel of the GK's has actually grown on me and I would probably buy another pair if I could get them set up tubeless.

0
Gibby

Starter
Registered:
Posts: 8
Reply with quote  #39 
The Panaracer was a real pain for me to mount. My wheels are Rolf Hyalite, and I mentioned my problems on another thread. Someone suggested mounting them with a tube, and let them sit for a day. That is what I did, and it worked. Since you have been running them with tubes, it should be OK to put in your sealant now.

0
AmericanTemplar

Member
Registered:
Posts: 30
Reply with quote  #40 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibby
The Panaracer was a real pain for me to mount. My wheels are Rolf Hyalite, and I mentioned my problems on another thread. Someone suggested mounting them with a tube, and let them sit for a day. That is what I did, and it worked. Since you have been running them with tubes, it should be OK to put in your sealant now.



I had actually had them with tubes in before mounting them tubeless and didn't have luck last time.  I did manage to get them setup tubeless just now by removing the valve core.  Stoked!
0
AmericanTemplar

Member
Registered:
Posts: 30
Reply with quote  #41 
These tires feel great tubeless!  I'll be interested in seeing how long they last compared to the Compass, but if the last more than half as long, it will be worth using them as my "go to" do it all tire.
0
nalax

Member
Registered:
Posts: 60
Reply with quote  #42 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanTemplar
I did manage to get them setup tubeless just now by removing the valve core.  Stoked!

Removing the valve core is always recommended when setting up tubeless.
0
NWOcyclist

Starter
Registered:
Posts: 5
Reply with quote  #43 
My 38s set up tubeless with no problems on DT Swiss R500 rims . . . but now I have a phantom leak in my front wheel that the Stans sealant can't seem to stop -- I must have close to 10 oz in there now.

I guess I'm a heavier guy at about 210 lbs and I've run them anywhere from 30-40 psi with 35 feeling like the best compromise for the chip seal and hard-packed gravel roads in my area.

My only concern is if I need to remove a tire -- it's like they're vacuum-sealed to the rims. I can pop the bead out with no issues but getting a tire lever under the bead is almost impossible.

Jason
0
nalax

Member
Registered:
Posts: 60
Reply with quote  #44 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWOcyclist
My 38s set up tubeless with no problems on DT Swiss R500 rims . . . but now I have a phantom leak in my front wheel that the Stans sealant can't seem to stop -- I must have close to 10 oz in there now.

I guess I'm a heavier guy at about 210 lbs and I've run them anywhere from 30-40 psi with 35 feeling like the best compromise for the chip seal and hard-packed gravel roads in my area.

My only concern is if I need to remove a tire -- it's like they're vacuum-sealed to the rims. I can pop the bead out with no issues but getting a tire lever under the bead is almost impossible.

Jason


Before adding anymore sealant to the tire (10oz!), pump it up and check for leaks submerging it under water. If any bubbles show, there's your leak. When removing or installing the tire, make sure the beads are in the center channel.
0
HollyBoni

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 209
Reply with quote  #45 
Or just spray some soapy water on it. 
0
veloz

Starter
Registered:
Posts: 1
Reply with quote  #46 
Can a few of you do an actual width measurement and list your rim width? Also: Anybody have measurements or tried Soma's Supple Vitesse 38? If I can't fit a GK 38 slick, I might go that route with tubes. Thanks.
0
Volsung

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 261
Reply with quote  #47 

Quote:
Originally Posted by veloz
Can a few of you do an actual width measurement and list your rim width? Also: Anybody have measurements or tried Soma's Supple Vitesse 38? If I can't fit a GK 38 slick, I might go that route with tubes. Thanks.

my friends were right around 38 on a 20mm internal Velocity Aileron.  I started a Soma thread a few months ago with my thoughts on them.

0
LewisQC

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 119
Reply with quote  #48 
Quote:
Originally Posted by veloz
Can a few of you do an actual width measurement and list your rim width? Also: Anybody have measurements or tried Soma's Supple Vitesse 38? If I can't fit a GK 38 slick, I might go that route with tubes. Thanks.


Mine are 39.5mm and 39.9 at 40psi on a dtswiss 20mm inner width. I ordered mine at excell sport https://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?page=8&description=GravelKing+Tire&vendorCode=PANARACE&major=1&minor=27
0
simplemind

Avatar / Picture

Member
Registered:
Posts: 58
Reply with quote  #49 
Maybe slightly off subject, but I'm thinking of giving the slicks a try on dry conditions gravel.  Currently on Resolutes, which are light and slightly knobby.  Question I have is do you feel that the slicks give you an advantage over a knobby tire and have you experienced a loss in traction that you feel compromises performance and/or safety on loose gravel?
0
chas

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 468
Reply with quote  #50 
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplemind
Maybe slightly off subject, but I'm thinking of giving the slicks a try on dry conditions gravel.  Currently on Resolutes, which are light and slightly knobby.  Question I have is do you feel that the slicks give you an advantage over a knobby tire and have you experienced a loss in traction that you feel compromises performance and/or safety on loose gravel?


Generally, I find that slicks roll a little better, and wear a little better.  They corner harder on pavement.  I use them in the summer/fall where I usually have dry hard pack or gravel.  Traction wise, they are similar, but the breakaway characteristics of slicks is a lot different than knobbies.  Knobbies are much easier to catch/control in a slide.  Slicks tend to let go suddenly.

 

Obviously slicks don’t work well in wet dirt/grass

0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.