david

The Advanced 0 has worked its' way to the top of my new gravel bike list. I was just curious if anyone has any experience or thoughts on Giants' new gravel bikes.
I'm currently riding a three year old Salsa Warbird. I'm also considering the Specialized Diverge Comp.

Thanks in advance.

Quote 0 0
Rashad F
I test rode one today (Advanced 1) and loved it.  Ironically, I tested it back to back with a 2018 Diverge and 2019 Salsa Warbird and liked the Revolt the best by a considerable margin (and I liked the other two).  It felt like a race bike with wider gravel wheels basically. I am torn between getting a Advanced 0 or getting an Advanced 2 and upgrading a few things (shifters and brakes) but I definitely plan on going with this bike.  If you are primarily interested in comfort, go for the Diverge, but if you like riding fast over all kinds of surfaces and want wheel versatility, you can't beat the Revolt Advanced in my opinion.

Feel free to ask me any questions you have.
Quote 0 0
Soonerinfrisco
Wow those three are on my list along with the cutthroat and libre.  I can easily ride a Warbird, Cutty and Diverge in DFW but getting a Libre or Revolt may be challenging.  Both are in very short supply around here.

But seems that you think the Diverge is most comfortable of the three?  Comfort is big with me and that is why I have the Cutty and the Libre under consideration.  Revolt does seem to be the best value of them all.
Quote 0 0
Rashad F
The Diverge is definitely the most comfortable of those three and maybe of all of the bikes you mentioned. It’s a really good bike. If you add something like Cane Creek’s new suspension seatpost to it, it might be the most comfortable gravel bike on the market. The Cutthroat looks cool, but it’s probably overkill for most gravel rides. It’s really a drop bar hardtail mtb that is great for MTB type events and bikepacking, etc. Definitely give the Diverge a try if you can. It gobbled up potholes and bumpy roads. Still plenty stiff, etc.
Quote 1 0
Soonerinfrisco
Thanks for the response.  I rode a guy's cutty just around the block on asphalt after one of the local gravel rides and was impressed.  Even with 2.1s on it, it seemed adequately fast for my blood.  Gonnna take my garmin with me to test ride and see how they stack up on similar terrain (limited to asphalt and crushed rock paths unfortunately). Real crappy of Specialized to make the bottom of the carbon Diverge line a 10speed Tiagra.  Heck charge more and add an 11 speed drive train.....
Quote 0 0
Rashad F
No problem. Yeah, that’s the one I test rode and I basically agree. But, the one good thing I can say about the spec is that at least it is hydro. Many brands only have mechanical disc at that price point. It still felt great to be honest, but I was testing it on laps through a pot hole and gravel filled alley with rolling hills and not some steep long climb or descent. It felt “punchy” yet comfortable. It literally made some of what I was riding over a nonissue. It was consistent with a lot of the reviews that are out there on the bike imo. The Cutthroat looks cool, but really isn’t my thing. I like the look and they are priced well though.
Quote 1 0
mrbaumer
I wish someone would do a review of the Revolt Advanced -- not much info out there. Same with the Topstone.
Quote 1 0
Rashad F
mrbaumer wrote:
I wish someone would do a review of the Revolt Advanced -- not much info out there. Same with the Topstone.


Outside of my own test, these are the closest things I have found:

https://www.cxmagazine.com/giant-revolt-advanced-gravel-bike-josh-berry-2018

Quote 0 0
Rashad F
It sounds like it might be heavier than it felt, which could be a problem for me. We’ll likely see more reviews as more of them hit the stores. Here’s his upgrade video.

Quote 0 0
Rashad F
The Revolt Advanced may not be compatible with Di2 either.... [frown]

Quote 1 0
RipRap
david wrote:

The Advanced 0 has worked its' way to the top of my new gravel bike list. I was just curious if anyone has any experience or thoughts on Giants' new gravel bikes.
I'm currently riding a three year old Salsa Warbird. I'm also considering the Specialized Diverge Comp.

Thanks in advance.



Been on a 0 for a while now. After 300+ miles of Midwest gravel, I'm pretty sold. Definitely best bang for your buck. Are there lighter bikes out there? Sure. Are there other hydro Ultegra RX equipped, carbon framed, carbon wheeled, tubeless out-of-the-box gravel bikes for under $3500 on the market? Not that I'm aware of.

Let me know what specific questions you may have and I will answer them as best as I can.
Quote 1 0
david

Over the weekend I did a short ride on both the Diverge Comp and the Advanced 0.  I agree with what has been mentioned here; the Diverge is the most comfortable, the Giant is the best value.  Assuming the bike shops have not sold them, I going to try to ride them again this weekend.  I hope to have a decision by Sunday.  Thanks everyone.

Quote 0 0
david
Ordered the Giant Revolt Advanced 1, 1x.  LBS said it would arrive in 2 weeks.
Quote 0 0
reckoner

Clint Gibbs has done a couple videos reviewing the Revolt Advanced 0.  He's a great resource for reviewing gravel bikes.



Quote 0 0
kixsand
I might have had a wad of cash hiding in the bottom of my cycling tool box.

I might have secreted that money out of the house and down to the bike store.

I might have a Revolt Advanced 0 in size L on the way. No stock in Canada till end of February though! Oh well, something to look forward to.

It’s going to be a long winter!



Quote 1 0
kixsand

Quote 0 0
AWD1
I just purchased the Advanced 0 in M.  Compared to my previous bike, Cannondale slate, the frame is seems to be more compliant and the 700c tires seem to roll over rocks and ruts better than the 650b.  I was even pleasantly surprised the stock Giant saddle is very comfortable and appears to have more padding than my previous saddle that came with my Giant TCR.  

I would agree in terms of value, it's hard to beat with the Ultegra RX rear derailleur, and 48/32 2x praxis chainring and carbon wheels that weigh around 1630g.  With the money saved, there's $$ to purchase a power meter and lighten things up.
Quote 0 0
david
Alright, 14 days later and still no bike.  Called the LBS today, says 10 more days.  I'll wait the 10 days, but if it is any longer, then I'm going to cancel and get the Diverge Comp.
Quote 0 0
RipRap
david wrote:
Alright, 14 days later and still no bike.  Called the LBS today, says 10 more days.  I'll wait the 10 days, but if it is any longer, then I'm going to cancel and get the Diverge Comp.


I just checked the inventory at Giant for the Advanced 1, and all sizes are close to single digits at all locations across the 3 US warehouses. I'm talking less than 50 of these bikes available to buy in the country.

What size did you order and where are you located David?


Quote 0 0
cattiy19
AWD1 wrote:
I just purchased the Advanced 0 in M.  Compared to my previous bike, Cannondale slate, the frame is seems to be more compliant and the 700c tires seem to roll over rocks and ruts better than the 650b.  I was even pleasantly surprised the stock Giant saddle is very comfortable and appears to have more padding than my previous saddle that came with my Giant TCR.  

I would agree in terms of value, it's hard to beat with the Ultegra RX rear derailleur, and 48/32 2x praxis chainring and carbon wheels that weigh around 1630g.  With the money saved, there's $$ to purchase a power meter and lighten things up.


Interesting opinion. I switched from a cheap carbon frame 700c gravel bike (although high quality components) to a Cannondale Slate. I would second what you say regarding rollover, but the Lefty Oliver puts in another league in terms of comfort. I am way more relaxed in my upper body after long gravel rides.
Quote 0 0
david
RipRap:  I live in the Kansas City area, I ordered a Med.  I had a bad connection when I spoke with the LBS today.  I thought I heard him mention something about only 50 remaining.  He indicated that the bike would be shipping from the Elgin Ill. warehouse.  We'll see what happens in 10 days.
Quote 0 0
CraigB
I’m in Arlington VA. Papillon Cycles managed to get a large advanced 0 about a month ago—a few days ahead of the 5% price rise for tarrifs

Just did a ride on 47mm 650b Terravail rampart tires. They have little tread. They have plenty of clearance so there looks to be room for a 47mm tire with tread, or maybe a 50mm could fit for rides without mud.

I find the drops of the bars to be very short so I’m replacing them with cow chippers.
Quote 0 0
RipRap
david wrote:
RipRap:  I live in the Kansas City area, I ordered a Med.  I had a bad connection when I spoke with the LBS today.  I thought I heard him mention something about only 50 remaining.  He indicated that the bike would be shipping from the Elgin Ill. warehouse.  We'll see what happens in 10 days.


That sounds about right. We have a medium Advanced 1 on our sales floor if things fall through and you want to visit Indy. :)
Quote 0 0
AWD1
CraigB wrote:
I’m in Arlington VA. Papillon Cycles managed to get a large advanced 0 about a month ago—a few days ahead of the 5% price rise for tarrifs

Just did a ride on 47mm 650b Terravail rampart tires. They have little tread. They have plenty of clearance so there looks to be room for a 47mm tire with tread, or maybe a 50mm could fit for rides without mud.

I find the drops of the bars to be very short so I’m replacing them with cow chippers.


CAn you take a picture of the clearance in the clearance between the chainstay and the 47mm 650b Terravail Rampart tires?  I am curious to see how much clearance there is.  

Thanks,

AWD
Quote 0 0
david
That sounds about right. We have a medium Advanced 1 on our sales floor if things fall through and you want to visit Indy. 😉/QUOTE]

A lot of ifs between now and next Monday.  If the LBS can't get the bike, if you still have the bike next week, if you can ship it (at my expense).  Thanks!
Quote 0 0