The Riding Gravel Forum
Sign up Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
bobknh

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 791
Reply with quote  #1 
I read with interest another recent thread on carrying extra water for long gravel races. I've never liked Camelbak back pack style drink carriers. I find the back packs hot and uncomfortable, and the bladders hard to clean -especially if you use an energy drink. Until I started riding dirt and gravel roads, carrying 1 or 2 24 oz. water bottles was good for me. On the dirt and gravel roads I ride however, there is always a lot of dust and mud. It doesn't take long, before the tops of my water bottles are covered with dirt. Short of stopping to wipe the dirt off of my bottles every few miles, does anyone have any suggestions - short of using some kind of bladder device- to keep the tops of your water bottles clean during a ride?
0
Dug

Starter
Registered:
Posts: 19
Reply with quote  #2 
For the most part I'll just ignore a little dust or dirt.  I might blow on the lid to knock some of that gunk off or squirt a bit out to clear out the stream.

At landrun two weeks ago I was unscrewing the cap and pouring it out of the bottle into my mouth.  Way too much mud/grit/sand/clay to stomach on that one. 
0
ChillyWilly

Member
Registered:
Posts: 20
Reply with quote  #3 
Dirt makes you healthy and strong. I mostly just consider it added taste and don't worry about it too much. If it's really dirty I might wipe it off with my hands, which probably isn't an improvement. 
0
dangle

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 248
Reply with quote  #4 
Some people will put a crud catcher on their downtube to keep some of the crap off of themselves and their bottles.

Using a water bottle with a lid is also an option. Several brands make ones with single handed operation. I have a few old Camelback (edit: turns out they are Nalgenes with every hint of a label gone) ones. I saw these Thermos ones after a couple seconds of searching.
[UP4720CH6_Enlargement] 

  [UP4120BR6_Enlargement]
0
bobknh

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 791
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillyWilly
Dirt makes you healthy and strong. I mostly just consider it added taste and don't worry about it too much. If it's really dirty I might wipe it off with my hands, which probably isn't an improvement. 

Maybe -- but the sand is really hard on your teeth enamal!
0
bobknh

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 791
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangle
Some people will put a crud catcher on their downtube to keep some of the crap off of themselves and their bottles.

Using a water bottle with a lid is also an option. Several brands make ones with single handed operation. I have a few old Camelback ones. I saw these Thermos ones after a couple seconds of searching.
[UP4720CH6_Enlargement] 

  [UP4120BR6_Enlargement]

Thanks. Those look nice. Looks like they would be easy to open one handed. Just push in the button. I'll check them out.
0
FestiveNoodle

Member
Registered:
Posts: 36
Reply with quote  #7 

This is what I use. Those caps fit my existing Camelback bottles and work surprisingly well:

  Capture.PNG 

http://www.avexoutdoor.com/autospout-squeeze-water-bottle.html


0
bobknh

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 791
Reply with quote  #8 
Follow up- purchased a few of these Nalgens and have been testing them: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XYQVBU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works very well. Very easy to flick open and close the cover. No "plastic" taste in the water. Reasonably prices and made in USA. My only concern is that while the plastic cover is easy to flick open and closed one handed, it looks rather flimsy. Not sure how well the cover will hold up to daily use on gravel and dirt roads.
0
turaco

Starter
Registered:
Posts: 5
Reply with quote  #9 
The nalgenes work well, but you are right the caps are flimsy. I use them moutain biking and they do break occasionally . Fortunately spare lids are also available on Amazon.
0
bobknh

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 791
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by turaco
The nalgenes work well, but you are right the caps are flimsy. I use them moutain biking and they do break occasionally . Fortunately spare lids are also available on Amazon.

Yes - but the lids cost almost as much as a new bottle and lid: https://smile.amazon.com/Nalgene-All-Terrain-Bottle-Black/dp/B004YBPTWA/ref=pd_sim_468_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B004YBPTWA&pd_rd_r=EBDSP2MNNTFRK81QYX89&pd_rd_w=sC60b&pd_rd_wg=cf1sS&psc=1&refRID=EBDSP2MNNTFRK81QYX89

Might as well by a new bottle, and re-purpose the old one for non-dirt rides or any other use to keep it out of the landfill. 
0
barturtle

Member
Registered:
Posts: 38
Reply with quote  #11 
Camelbak sells Mud Caps for their Podium bottles.
0
dangle

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 248
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknh
Follow up- purchased a few of these Nalgens and have been testing them: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XYQVBU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works very well. Very easy to flick open and close the cover. No "plastic" taste in the water. Reasonably prices and made in USA. My only concern is that while the plastic cover is easy to flick open and closed one handed, it looks rather flimsy. Not sure how well the cover will hold up to daily use on gravel and dirt roads.


That's the 'old' ones I have had for at least 10 years! I didn't know they still made them. I never broke one and still have them around. I used to use them a lot, but don't have a mt bike with a bottle cage or a gravel/cx bike with an under the downtube mount anymore.
0
simplemind

Avatar / Picture

Member
Registered:
Posts: 57
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FestiveNoodle

This is what I use. Those caps fit my existing Camelback bottles and work surprisingly well:

  Capture.PNG 

http://www.avexoutdoor.com/autospout-squeeze-water-bottle.html



Thanks, these work very well at least with their factory bottles.  I couldn't get a leak free fit with my Camelbak bottles for some reason.
0
bobknh

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 791
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplemind


Thanks, these work very well at least with their factory bottles.  I couldn't get a leak free fit with my Camelbak bottles for some reason.

Thanks for the post. Looks like a very good design. Probably wont fit my Soma Polypro bottles though. I switched to the Soma bottles because they seem to be the only squeezable bike bottle that don't give a plastic taste to the water. Even the so called BPA free bottles like the Podiums seem to always add a strong plastic taste.
0
FestiveNoodle

Member
Registered:
Posts: 36
Reply with quote  #15 
Just picked up a couple of those: https://www.backcountry.com/camelbak-podium-mud-cap Will do couple rides and report later which one I prefer.
Image result for camelbak podium mud cap
0
Zurichman

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 991
Reply with quote  #16 
Bobknh when I was out at the Pony Express last year in Kansas because of all the dust and dirt they had a bottle device canvas or something like that that fastened to your handle bars and you always carried that bottle in there to keep the dust/dirt out. I didn't get a real good chance to look at it but I bet if you look up the bike shop(Pathfinder) in Manhattan Kansas you could find out as they gave away all the free swag at the riders meeting.

Bobknh since you guys have helped me out I actually called the shop. At first I thought I was having a Senior Moment. lol What they gave away at the riders meeting and only a couple of them because of the expense was Revelate Designs Mountain feed bag. Holds a bottle of water/food and keeps the dust/dirt off. Hope that helps.

Yes is works as before that race they hadn't had rain and after a 4-5 mile shake down ride I probably had about 1/4" of dust on my bottles. Everybody that had a chance to win them was happy. It actually fits on the handlebars somehow but not sure how and can also be used for a feed bag.

Zman

__________________
If it was easy it wouldn't be a memory. You just hope you don't have all your memories in the same ride. been there dun that Zman
0
clarksonxc

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 176
Reply with quote  #17 
The Nalgene caps are durable but can obviously be broken if mishandled.  I have used mine for many dirty/rainy rides with great success.  The bigger drawback I see - be careful that they don't pop out of your bottle cages!  They seem to be slightly narrower than regular bottles, and therefore more prone to ejecting on any kind of bumpy descent.  A little hockey tape on the cage can go a long way.
Nalgene also makes a larger 1L size bottle that fits perfectly into a cage like the Widefoot designs.  I used two of them on the Cutthroat's fork blades at LandRun and they worked great.
https://www.nalgene.com/product/2591-0032/


0
DerekJ_MI

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 121
Reply with quote  #18 
Plastic sandwich bag and a rubber band is cheap and works great.  Cover the top of the bottle with the bag and secure it with a good stiff rubber band.  Go ride.
0
Dlicklider

Starter
Registered:
Posts: 1
Reply with quote  #19 
I have the Camelbak mud caps and they work great keeping the dirt and gravel dust out.  
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.