The Riding Gravel Forum
Register Calendar Latest Topics Chat
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
thepointchris

Member
Registered:
Posts: 30
Reply with quote  #1 
I'm trying to get input for Gravel Worlds, Nebraska - I'm not from the area, I do not know the conditions. I see that Neil Shirley used the Seracs when he won Gravel Worlds.
Opinions? Anyone else use this set-up for Nebraska?
0
thepointchris

Member
Registered:
Posts: 30
Reply with quote  #2 
Add WTB Exposure to the list.
0
xhx

Avatar / Picture

Member
Registered:
Posts: 44
Reply with quote  #3 
I use the Strada USH for commuting - I couldn't imagine using them as an all day gravel tire. Behaves well tubeless though.
It'll depend on what you want to get out of the race. If you plan to stay with the front, build your bike, choose tires, and train accordingly, but there will be the normal trade-off between speed & stability with a skinnier tire. I ran Riddler 37s last year & they were great, fast but still stable where skinnier tires were squirming. If I don't run those again this year I'm giving the Exposure 34s a serious look, but that would be the skinniest tire I've ever used in a race.
0
thepointchris

Member
Registered:
Posts: 30
Reply with quote  #4 
@xhx -Thanks for the input, exactly the kind of info I need. I came to the same conclusion, that the 32's are too narrow for me, and like you, am also looking at the 34's.
Would you mind telling me 1) how much you weigh, and 2) what your finishing time was last year? 
Another factor in favor of a treaded tire like Riddler/Rambler is the possibility of rain too,  I guess? Comments?
0
xhx

Avatar / Picture

Member
Registered:
Posts: 44
Reply with quote  #5 
@thepointchris 1) 157 lbs., 2) 10:00:55 (51st overall/4th ss). Crazy how fast this race has gotten over the years - I'm hoping the big hills come back this year [smile].
I like having at least a file tread like the Riddler, Happy Medium, etc. but moisture wouldn't be why. If we have roads like last year, they'll be like Velcro but won't build up on tires - just suck your energy & soul. If any mmr's show up this year & there's been rain mud clearance won't matter, you want to be off the bike & walking before you roll in to them. They'll pack up your tires no matter what you run.
0
thepointchris

Member
Registered:
Posts: 30
Reply with quote  #6 
That's an excellent time SS man! I hear you, i'm re-thinking :-)  Any other pearls of wisdom you have for me, don't hold back.
I'm 195, and would be very happy with a sub 10, but really I have no way of predicting.
My weight (compared to yours) leads me to more favor a bit of width, and a bit of tread.
0
xhx

Avatar / Picture

Member
Registered:
Posts: 44
Reply with quote  #7 
Ha, thanks 😀. We'll see how this year goes. Definitely err on the side of more tire than less, comfort is a big deal when you're looking at a day this long.
0
thepointchris

Member
Registered:
Posts: 30
Reply with quote  #8 
I'm going to try and find you there, before or after, OK! Tell me about your rig, so I can recognize you.
Did you do the fast-start thing, trying to hang in as long as you can, or did you just pace yourself, from the start?
0
xhx

Avatar / Picture

Member
Registered:
Posts: 44
Reply with quote  #9 
Sweet [smile]. I paced myself last year, working up through the field throughout the day. The "neutral" rollout was insane, like 20mph from the start. No way I was hanging with that 😄. I'll try to start a little farther up this year but definitely know I don't belong at the bleeding edge of this one.
I'm on a Kona Private Jake, black/red frame, Revelate tangle bag if the day will be hot. Gray Apostle Bikeworks kit.

Attached Images
jpeg IMG_20170701_131643.jpg (605.71 KB, 11 views)

0
thepointchris

Member
Registered:
Posts: 30
Reply with quote  #10 
I could go for that rig, if it had GEARS! 
Thx again for in info - I'll have a new rig too, soon I hope, one with 22 speeds!
0
Zurichman

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 299
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhx
I use the Strada USH for commuting - I couldn't imagine using them as an all day gravel tire. Behaves well tubeless though. It'll depend on what you want to get out of the race. If you plan to stay with the front, build your bike, choose tires, and train accordingly, but there will be the normal trade-off between speed & stability with a skinnier tire. I ran Riddler 37s last year & they were great, fast but still stable where skinnier tires were squirming. If I don't run those again this year I'm giving the Exposure 34s a serious look, but that would be the skinniest tire I've ever used in a race.


I am the newbie here xhx would you use this same set up for say the Pony Express 120 in Kansas. I keep hearing about flint in Kansas which I don't see here in Pa. I hope to be at 195 or 190 for the race in Sept. as I am just coming off a 6+ week nasty bout of the Shingles(not a lot of fun).

Thanks
Zman

__________________
If it was easy it wouldn't be a memory. You just hope you don't have all your memories in the same ride. been there dun that Zman
0
red1992v6rs

Starter
Registered:
Posts: 18
Reply with quote  #12 
I'm not sure what the gravel is like out there, but I'm currently on Strada USHs that came on my Tamland 1. I've had a recent string of flat tires with them. I'm not a light rider at 230lbs and it may have just been some bad luck or a bad line I was taking. Regardless, I'm not sure I would trust them on anything other than pavement, bike paths, or hard pack gravel. Maybe if you set them up as tubeless, which I'm going to try soon.
0
xhx

Avatar / Picture

Member
Registered:
Posts: 44
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurichman


I am the newbie here xhx would you use this same set up for say the Pony Express 120 in Kansas. I keep hearing about flint in Kansas which I don't see here in Pa. I hope to be at 195 or 190 for the race in Sept. as I am just coming off a 6+ week nasty bout of the Shingles(not a lot of fun).

Thanks
Zman


I'm not familiar with the gravel up there. Not sure if it's like the Flint Hills or tamer, I'll probably err on the side of sturdier tires for the Pony Express.
0
Zurichman

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 299
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by red1992v6rs
I'm not sure what the gravel is like out there, but I'm currently on Strada USHs that came on my Tamland 1. I've had a recent string of flat tires with them. I'm not a light rider at 230lbs and it may have just been some bad luck or a bad line I was taking. Regardless, I'm not sure I would trust them on anything other than pavement, bike paths, or hard pack gravel. Maybe if you set them up as tubeless, which I'm going to try soon.


So do you have a 2017 versus 2016? Mine came with the Clement mso 40cm which are a tube tire but I like the way they roll but have no comparison as I am new to gravel riding and had a junk mt. bike before.

Zman

__________________
If it was easy it wouldn't be a memory. You just hope you don't have all your memories in the same ride. been there dun that Zman
0
Zurichman

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 299
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhx
I'm not familiar with the gravel up there. Not sure if it's like the Flint Hills or tamer, I'll probably err on the side of sturdier tires for the Pony Express.


I did get a reply from a local rider there and they seem to be riding on the 38cm Ridler. I had never heard any discussion on here before of this tire until then. A couple of races were won by riders that were riding Riddlers so not sure of them riding them because of that so I guess here are my choices narrowed down.

Clement mso 38 cm tubeless
Gravel King SK 38 cm tubeless
Riddler 38 cm tuybeless

I really don't know much about these tires except for the Clement's and won't even then know more about them until I wear out the stock set that was on my bike. The front I was able to make tubeless even though they weren't tubeless but the back I didn't have as much luck.

Any input is gladly appreciated.
Zman

__________________
If it was easy it wouldn't be a memory. You just hope you don't have all your memories in the same ride. been there dun that Zman
0
thepointchris

Member
Registered:
Posts: 30
Reply with quote  #16 
We can add Maxxis Rambler 38, I guess. Nice and light, should do the job. I'm 195 - I'm leaning towards this tire, given all the input so far.
0
red1992v6rs

Starter
Registered:
Posts: 18
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurichman


So do you have a 2017 versus 2016? Mine came with the Clement mso 40cm which are a tube tire but I like the way they roll but have no comparison as I am new to gravel riding and had a junk mt. bike before.

Zman


The have the 2017 version. I typically ride 70/30 road/gravel, so they are really a great tire for my riding. Just seems like every time I touch gravel I get a flat.
0
Zurichman

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 299
Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepointchris
We can add Maxxis Rambler 38, I guess. Nice and light, should do the job. I'm 195 - I'm leaning towards this tire, given all the input so far.


Geesh don't make it any harder for me to decide. [idea]


Zman

__________________
If it was easy it wouldn't be a memory. You just hope you don't have all your memories in the same ride. been there dun that Zman
0
Zurichman

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 299
Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:
Originally Posted by red1992v6rs
The have the 2017 version. I typically ride 70/30 road/gravel, so they are really a great tire for my riding. Just seems like every time I touch gravel I get a flat.


I would guess your weight comes into play there some but if you went with a tubeless tire I don't think you would have a problem. I am at 205 right now and hope to get down to 195 or 190 by the race.

Zman

__________________
If it was easy it wouldn't be a memory. You just hope you don't have all your memories in the same ride. been there dun that Zman
0
Zurichman

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 299
Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by red1992v6rs
The have the 2017 version. I typically ride 70/30 road/gravel, so they are really a great tire for my riding. Just seems like every time I touch gravel I get a flat.


I did get very lucky buying my 2016 Tamlande 1 Over at bike Forums they had a Corporate discount listed and I bought my Tamland for $799 and $49 tax shipped direct to me from Raleigh.

Zman

__________________
If it was easy it wouldn't be a memory. You just hope you don't have all your memories in the same ride. been there dun that Zman
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.