Artsome1 Show full post »
Magnum Rotae
2019 Salsa Warbird teaser...

https://bikerumor.com/2018/06/02/salsa-warbird-v4-sneak-peek-shows-their-next-gen-carbon-gravel-race-bike/

Coming this fall, the 2019 Salsa Warbird V.4 gets an all-new carbon frame that sheds 100g from its predecessor, yet it adds more features – three water bottle bosses inside the front triangle (sizes 56 and larger), rack mounts, fender mounts, top tub bag mounts, and even stealth dropper seatpost routing (when running a 1x drivetrain).

The chainstay’s dropped driveside design make plenty of room for larger 2x cranksets, and there’s internal routing for both mechanical and electronic shifting. They say that lower half redesign also boost power transfer, while a refined size-specific layup improves vibration reduction. Speaking of sizes, there’s now a smaller 49cm option, running all the way up to 61cm. Top tube lengths have been stretched a bit to improve stability.

Tire clearance is claimed at 700×45, but it’s also 650Bx2.1″ compatible now, too. The new Waxwing fork gets accessory holster, pannier rack and fender mounts, plus Dynamo wire routing to keep powered installs just as clean as the rest of the bike. Flat mount brakes tidy up the other side. Want something softer? The geo is suspension corrected so you can sub in current gravel suspension forks without changing the handling.

Pricing for the frame and fork (which will be sold separately, too) are TBD.




Quote 2 0
Rashad F
I have been enjoying my Domane and thinking titanium for pure gravel, but this one and the new Donnelly have my attention.  Looking forward to seeing the pricing and builds. 
Quote 0 0
TimmyR
Rashad F wrote:
I have been enjoying my Domane and thinking titanium for pure gravel, but this one and the new Donnelly have my attention.  Looking forward to seeing the pricing and builds. 


I am planning on new bike this Fall. It'll all revolve around the geometry and a bike that will fit me well. I was planning steel or Ti, but am super-interested in the new Warbird frame.

Tim

------------------
Ride on! [cool]
Quote 0 0
Rashad F
I am in the same boat, but may not purchase anything until the offseason. I stil have a preference for Ti, but geometry, fit, and features will likely be the deciding factors. Trek has spoiled me with my Domane fit, so we’ll see where I end up. I am intrigued by this bike too though.
Quote 0 0
chas
Rashad F wrote:
I am in the same boat, but may not purchase anything until the offseason. I stil have a preference for Ti, but geometry, fit, and features will likely be the deciding factors. Trek has spoiled me with my Domane fit, so we’ll see where I end up. I am intrigued by this bike too though.


I thought it was interesting that the V3 Warbird had more compliance in the Aluminum version compared to V2 in the Ti version (Carbon even more so).
Quote 0 0
chas
Magnum Rotae wrote:
2019 Salsa Warbird teaser...



I was going to post that too.  the 650B option is getting more popular...
Quote 0 0
Smale Rider
I hope that is a 386 evo B.B., that old pf86 B.B. held it back.
Quote 0 0
NoCoGreg
Smale Rider wrote:
I hope that is a 386 evo B.B., that old pf86 B.B. held it back.

I'd love a threaded BB - every family bike with a PF bottom bracket has been a PITA. In fact I don't think I'll ever purchase ANY other bike with a PF bottom bracket.  PF may offer a small performance advantage -BUT- at a huge cost in reliability. 

Specialized recently went back to threaded BB for the new Stumpjumper line.  I'm hoping to see other companies going that direction or possibly the new T47 bottom bracket.

Quote 0 0
ljsmith
NoCoGreg wrote:

I'd love a threaded BB - every family bike with a PF bottom bracket has been a PITA. In fact I don't think I'll ever purchase ANY other bike with a PF bottom bracket.  PF may offer a small performance advantage -BUT- at a huge cost in reliability. 

Specialized recently went back to threaded BB for the new Stumpjumper line.  I'm hoping to see other companies going that direction or possibly the new T47 bottom bracket.



I'd prefer a threaded BB as well, but I don't let it keep me from getting a nice bike.  I simply use a Wheels manufacturing threaded BB on all my pressfit frames and they are trouble (and creak) free.
Quote 0 0
widerisfaster
ljsmith wrote:


I'd prefer a threaded BB as well, but I don't let it keep me from getting a nice bike.  I simply use a Wheels manufacturing threaded BB on all my pressfit frames and they are trouble (and creak) free.

I had a wheels MFG thread together BB installed on my road bike. Fixed the pressfit creak for me. 

I've ordered a Carbonda CFR696 gravel frame with similar geo to the V3 warbird. It has BB86, but I just factor a thread together BB into the build cost for future bikes.
Quote 0 0