The Riding Gravel Forum
Register Calendar Latest Topics Chat
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 1 of 15      1   2   3   4   Next   »
edgold

Starter
Registered:
Posts: 17
Reply with quote  #1 
I heard a rumor that Trek is coming out with a true gravel bike (not their rebadged Domane) called the checkpoint. Anyone have any intel to confirm if this, release date, other details?
0
idozen13

Starter
Registered:
Posts: 10
Reply with quote  #2 
Yes, that is what I've heard as well. keep an eye out around March-April with clearance up to 700x40c, maybe 45c. That is all I know thus far. I really hope its got threaded BB. 


0
Noah_Deuce

Member
Registered:
Posts: 66
Reply with quote  #3 
That would be pretty cool!
0
Rashad F

Member
Registered:
Posts: 36
Reply with quote  #4 
Just joining this thread so that I can stay up to date on any intel on this bike. I am really interested and hoping we at least get a sneak peak soon. 
0
BFH

Starter
Registered:
Posts: 6
Reply with quote  #5 
I was in Waterloo yesterday and layed eyes upon a bike...
0
SilverbackRacing

Starter
Registered:
Posts: 18
Reply with quote  #6 
Please tell me it's not yet another horrible Trek color.
0
Rashad F

Member
Registered:
Posts: 36
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFH
I was in Waterloo yesterday and layed eyes upon a bike...


Anything you can share? 
0
BFH

Starter
Registered:
Posts: 6
Reply with quote  #8 

As a guest there I can't share until after they announce it.

Sooooooon.

0
SilverbackRacing

Starter
Registered:
Posts: 18
Reply with quote  #9 
My money says tomorrow.
0
Rashad F

Member
Registered:
Posts: 36
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFH

As a guest there I can't share until after they announce it.

Sooooooon.



Gotcha, looking forward to seeing what they come up with.  
0
JSinLR

Member
Registered:
Posts: 24
Reply with quote  #11 
I have a 2018 Trek Crockett 5 and it makes a great gravel bike if you are looking at Trek. It has flat mount disc brakes, 12mm Thru-axles and clearance for at least 40c gravel tires. I love mine. Decent price and I love the way it rides. I have a winter road wheelset with Hutchinson Sector 28c and a gravel set with Pacenti Forza's and Kenda Flintridge Pros 40C. It's a nice ride for gravel and winter road riding.
0
Rashad F

Member
Registered:
Posts: 36
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSinLR
I have a 2018 Trek Crockett 5 and it makes a great gravel bike if you are looking at Trek. It has flat mount disc brakes, 12mm Thru-axles and clearance for at least 40c gravel tires. I love mine. Decent price and I love the way it rides. I have a winter road wheelset with Hutchinson Sector 28c and a gravel set with Pacenti Forza's and Kenda Flintridge Pros 40C. It's a nice ride for gravel and winter road riding.


The Crockett is on my short list as well.  I haven't seen anything on the "Checkpoint" thus far today.  Anybody else hear or see anything?
0
Jim_H

Avatar / Picture

Member
Registered:
Posts: 58
Reply with quote  #13 
Nothing in Twitter, Facebook or Instagram yet.  

*waiting*....
0
Rashad F

Member
Registered:
Posts: 36
Reply with quote  #14 
Ok, so does this bike really exist?  I haven't seen anything official from any cycling publication or Trek about it. A bike shop here has acknowledged it's coming, but it seems like it would follow previous releases where at least something was mentioned by Bike Radar or Velonews, etc. before the actual rollout.   Here, there haven't been any spy shots or articles.  Is it just a concept bike or are they truly releasing something soon?  I am fine either way, I just would like to move on and focus on getting something else if they aren't releasing something in the next 30 days or so. 
0
SilverbackRacing

Starter
Registered:
Posts: 18
Reply with quote  #15 
It's coming! Check back in 20 days.
0
Jim_H

Avatar / Picture

Member
Registered:
Posts: 58
Reply with quote  #16 

BAH! 

TWENTY DAYS IS TOO LONG!  

Riding season is approaching. We need our new rigs NOW!  [rofl]

0
BFH

Starter
Registered:
Posts: 6
Reply with quote  #17 

Maybe pouting online will speed up it's release.

Trek's recently history is to release a new model when they have it in inventory. Which is waaaay better than announcing a model then having to wait for it appear.

0
Rashad F

Member
Registered:
Posts: 36
Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFH

Maybe pouting online will speed up it's release.

Trek's recently history is to release a new model when they have it in inventory. Which is waaaay better than announcing a model then having to wait for it appear.



Take it easy Captain, he was only joking.  We'll see if I can holdout that long, probably not though.  The Mason Bokeh is starting to whisper sweet nothings to me.  
0
Dug

Starter
Registered:
Posts: 19
Reply with quote  #19 
What I've heard is that it'll either be out by or released at Sea Otter.   April 19.

I love my current bike but am always interested in what Trek's got cooking.   This bike really needs to be a splash hit and rival the Warbird, in my opinion. 
0
Rashad F

Member
Registered:
Posts: 36
Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dug
What I've heard is that it'll either be out by or released at Sea Otter.   April 19.

I love my current bike but am always interested in what Trek's got cooking.   This bike really needs to be a splash hit and rival the Warbird, in my opinion. 


I agree, but the Warbird isn't their biggest concern (at least not domestically), it's the new Specialized Diverge.
0
Jim_H

Avatar / Picture

Member
Registered:
Posts: 58
Reply with quote  #21 
I'm hoping for something 650b friendly (as an option), which is something the Warbird can't do.

Trek has lot's of race bikes.  I'm hoping they go full-on adventure bike.  

A bonus would be a seat tube that can accommodate a MTB FD as well (even clamp on), as that is a nice option as well.  
0
SilverbackRacing

Starter
Registered:
Posts: 18
Reply with quote  #22 
I'd bet it will be a direct competitor to the Diverge.
0
DrBagg

Member
Registered:
Posts: 49
Reply with quote  #23 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_H
I'm hoping for something 650b friendly (as an option), which is something the Warbird can't do.

Trek has lot's of race bikes.  I'm hoping they go full-on adventure bike.  

A bonus would be a seat tube that can accommodate a MTB FD as well (even clamp on), as that is a nice option as well.  


Can't you run 650b, pretty much, on any disc frame? Maybe no 52mm, but still.
0
Rashad F

Member
Registered:
Posts: 36
Reply with quote  #24 
In theory, yes, but it reportedly negatively affects handling on some bikes that weren't built for smaller wheels.  For instance, Trek pretty much strongly discourages purchasers from using 650b wheels on the Crockett.  

Scroll down to the Q & A:

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/road-bikes/cyclocross-bikes/crockett/crockett-7-disc/p/2495000-2018/
0
Jim_H

Avatar / Picture

Member
Registered:
Posts: 58
Reply with quote  #25 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBagg
Can't you run 650b, pretty much, on any disc frame? Maybe no 52mm, but still.


You probably can run 650b on most disc bikes, but you don't really get any advantage on some of them (like the Warbird) because of the chainstay shape.  

The idea of the having 650b is so you can run wider tires than you can on 700c.   This assumes the chainstay shape supports this.

On some bikes, the chainstays actually get narrower as they move away from the bottom bracket, meaning that you can't get wider tires on the 650b wheels.  

The Warbird was on my shortlist of new bikes this offseason, but after seeing them in the local shop, and discussing wheel options, I elimated it when I realized I couldn't run 650b with anything wider than about 35c or so.
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.