The Riding Gravel Forum
Register Calendar Latest Topics Chat
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 5 of 15     «   Prev   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   Next   »
Mr E

Starter
Registered:
Posts: 19
Reply with quote  #101 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBagg
I just got 2017 Boone 7 w/cantis for a deal, to good to pass up. Still at the shop, waiting to switch out a couple of parts.... put 40s on the the day it came in tho. Gonna be fun.


Be careful of the clearance.
I ran 40mm Happy Mediums on my 2016 Boone.
They fit in the stand, but when I rode on them, they removed the paint on the inside of the chainstays.
0
That Bike Guy

Starter
Registered:
Posts: 14
Reply with quote  #102 
I ordered Maxxis Ramblers 700 x 40. I'm told they measure around 39 so they should be perfect
0
Mr E

Starter
Registered:
Posts: 19
Reply with quote  #103 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverbackRacing


I am getting the top carbon as it will likely have better wheels than the lower carbon. After I would upgrade wheels on the lower model I'd be near the higher price anyways. So I get the top end model, ultegra, better wheels and probably a better paint scheme. To me a gravel bike has road gears as opposed to Boone gears. Boone does not enough high end and low end, for me. The new bike will have proper road gearing so it will serve as both my road bike and gravel bike. I'll swap rubber at will. My Domane will then go on the selling block.


When my Boone had a 40/11 high gear (I recently dropped it to 38), and I never had trouble keeping upon a club ride or a crit. It topped out about 30 for me...

I drink the single chainring KoolAid!
0
DrBagg

Member
Registered:
Posts: 49
Reply with quote  #104 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr E


Be careful of the clearance.
I ran 40mm Happy Mediums on my 2016 Boone.
They fit in the stand, but when I rode on them, they removed the paint on the inside of the chainstays.


That's what I put on mine...have a good 1/4 In, maybe a tad more, between tire and stays
0
SilverbackRacing

Starter
Registered:
Posts: 18
Reply with quote  #105 
On order!
0
JSinLR

Member
Registered:
Posts: 24
Reply with quote  #106 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr E


Be careful of the clearance.
I ran 40mm Happy Mediums on my 2016 Boone.
They fit in the stand, but when I rode on them, they removed the paint on the inside of the chainstays.


I pretty sure the 2018 models have more clearance so 40s fit fine for me. But anytime you ride gravel/dirt/mud you are gonna get some paint rubbing off the inside of your front fork & rear chainstays. Heck i get that on my road bike from miscellaneous debris getting picked up and wedged between the tires and frame.
0
Mr E

Starter
Registered:
Posts: 19
Reply with quote  #107 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSinLR
I pretty sure the 2018 models have more clearance so 40s fit fine for me. But anytime you ride gravel/dirt/mud you are gonna get some paint rubbing off the inside of your front fork & rear chainstays. Heck i get that on my road bike from miscellaneous debris getting picked up and wedged between the tires and frame.


The 2018's were redesigned.
On mine, the tires literally rubbed when I turned
0
JSinLR

Member
Registered:
Posts: 24
Reply with quote  #108 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr E


The 2018's were redesigned.
On mine, the tires literally rubbed when I turned


That stinks...how wide can you go without the tires rubbing? I purposely waited on the 2018’s to be released last spring and bought a Crockett in April on the first production run. Fortunately the owner of my LBS tipped me off about the redesign so I waited.

I like the Happy Mediums too...I run them on my MTB when I ride it on gravel.
0
Mr E

Starter
Registered:
Posts: 19
Reply with quote  #109 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSinLR
That stinks...how wide can you go without the tires rubbing? I purposely waited on the 2018’s to be released last spring and bought a Crockett in April on the first production run. Fortunately the owner of my LBS tipped me off about the redesign so I waited. I like the Happy Mediums too...I run them on my MTB when I ride it on gravel.

The 2018s are supposed to clear a 40
0
DrBagg

Member
Registered:
Posts: 49
Reply with quote  #110 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr E

The 2018s are supposed to clear a 40


I bet I can get a 42 On my 2017.
0
neinneinthree

Starter
Registered:
Posts: 17
Reply with quote  #111 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverbackRacing
On order!


Were you able to see the geometry chart? What about gearing, components, price, and colors?
0
SilverbackRacing

Starter
Registered:
Posts: 18
Reply with quote  #112 
Quote:
Were you able to see the geometry chart? What about gearing, components, price, and colors?



I'm going high end carbon, betting geometry will be Domane-like. Gearing will be Ultegra, color is matte black, tires are 700x40, raised chainstay, supposedly $3800. Supposed to have it this weekend.

I'm guessing the lower carbon will be 105 with lesser wheels. No idea what aluminum will look like.
0
That Bike Guy

Starter
Registered:
Posts: 14
Reply with quote  #113 
If you can find a shop that still had some stock in the XR-0/29-0 29x1.9" tire... that would be a great tire for the checkpoint. I have a new set in my collection and at a weight of just over 400 grams... they are amazing!
0
SilverbackRacing

Starter
Registered:
Posts: 18
Reply with quote  #114 
Aluminum #1 - Tiagra
Aluminum #2 - 105
Carbon #1 - 105
Carbon #2 500 Series - Ultegra - Paradigm Wheels
Comes stock with 700x35 Schwalbe's G-One
Isospeed in rear only

Mine will be delivered to the LBS this Friday.
0
Jim_H

Avatar / Picture

Member
Registered:
Posts: 58
Reply with quote  #115 
Thanks for the info.  That's awesome.

Any idea on MSRP for these?
0
SilverbackRacing

Starter
Registered:
Posts: 18
Reply with quote  #116 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_H
Thanks for the info.  That's awesome.

Any idea on MSRP for these?


Not yet
0
JSinLR

Member
Registered:
Posts: 24
Reply with quote  #117 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr E

The 2018s are supposed to clear a 40
yep. I have a 2018 Crockett and i run 40s on it right now...might be able to go a little wider but what would be the point. What I was asking you was how wide do you think you could go on your 2017?
0
neinneinthree

Starter
Registered:
Posts: 17
Reply with quote  #118 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverbackRacing
Aluminum #1 - Tiagra
Aluminum #2 - 105
Carbon #1 - 105
Carbon #2 500 Series - Ultegra - Paradigm Wheels
Comes stock with 700x35 Schwalbe's G-One
Isospeed in rear only

Mine will be delivered to the LBS this Friday.


Nice.  You got the VIP treatment.  Looking forward to a pic.
0
Rashad F

Member
Registered:
Posts: 33
Reply with quote  #119 
So, am I finally going to be able to see this thing before I go to work in the morning or am I going to be stuck checking the Trek homepage between meetings all day? 😉
0
SilverbackRacing

Starter
Registered:
Posts: 18
Reply with quote  #120 
Checkpoint.jpg 
0
SilverbackRacing

Starter
Registered:
Posts: 18
Reply with quote  #121 
Sorry for the poor quality. Computer screens suck at taking pictures of them.
0
Rashad F

Member
Registered:
Posts: 33
Reply with quote  #122 
Cool, it actually does look a lot like a Domane except for the chain stay from that angle.  I can't wait to see more.  
0
Animal494

Member
Registered:
Posts: 41
Reply with quote  #123 
If previous reports of the high end carbon being $3800 are correct, it will be $300 more than the SL6 Domane and in exchange you lose the front iso and get more tire clearance (from 35c to 42c)? Surely there must be more to it than that?
0
Tobin

Starter
Registered:
Posts: 10
Reply with quote  #124 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal494
If previous reports of the high end carbon being $3800 are correct, it will be $300 more than the SL6 Domane and in exchange you lose the front iso and get more tire clearance (from 35c to 42c)? Surely there must be more to it than that?


There’s not exactly more to bikes like the Open UP than “more tire clearance.” What did you have in mind?
0
Animal494

Member
Registered:
Posts: 41
Reply with quote  #125 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobin
There’s not exactly more to bikes like the Open UP than “more tire clearance.” What did you have in mind?


No, I was just wondering about the comparison between the existing SL6 Domane for $3500 and the new Checkpoint for $3800.  From this thread, the only difference is the Checkpoint lacks the front ISO decoupler and has 5mm more tire clearance... but costs $300 more? 

Similarly, I don't understand why Trek has an 17.6lb SLR6 Domane with full Ultegra for $5500...while also selling an <17lb SL8 with full DuraAce for $5500. 

Hopefully later today when details are available it will become more clear what the difference is between the SL6 and the high end Checkpoint.
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.