The Riding Gravel Forum
Sign up Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 2 of 3      Prev   1   2   3   Next
cyclostf

Starter
Registered:
Posts: 5
Reply with quote  #26 
You may also look at the Curve GXR Carbon Fork https://www.curvecycling.com.au/collections/forks/products/fork-gxr-12mm-flat-mount. You can get it with eyelets for racks.

I got one for my Why R+. Used it with 700*40 and 27.5*2.1 both on pavement, on gravel roads and on some singletrack. It is stiff and has lots of room to spare. A very good choice in my opinion.
0
donavan

Starter
Registered:
Posts: 15
Reply with quote  #27 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclostf
You may also look at the Curve GXR Carbon Fork https://www.curvecycling.com.au/collections/forks/products/fork-gxr-12mm-flat-mount. You can get it with eyelets for racks.

I got one for my Why R+. Used it with 700*40 and 27.5*2.1 both on pavement, on gravel roads and on some singletrack. It is stiff and has lots of room to spare. A very good choice in my opinion.


Thanks for that handy info.

That fork has clearance deluxe!

Just curious as to the handling with 51mm rake. What size Why R+ are you riding? That bike looks sweet too!




0
cyclostf

Starter
Registered:
Posts: 5
Reply with quote  #28 
Handling is just fine. The R+ is built around the ENVE cross fork which has a 47mm rake. So, the 4mm difference is unnoticeable with the tires I am using.

I bought a Large frame. With the Sram Force 1x groupset and i9 AR25 TRA alloy wheels and 40mm tires, the bike weights just a bit over 18 lbs. It is fitted with a 10-42 cassette and 40t chaingring. My second wheelset (Hope trail 27.5) is heavier, bringing the bike around 20lbs with an e13 9-46 cassette.

I almost bought a Lynskey (I already have Lynskey road and mountain bikes), but they didn't have the size I was looking for, I didn't like their fork and they charged an awful lot of money for a Sram Force 1 groupset. I am sure I would have been happy with the GR frame, but for just a bit more, the Why seemed like a better option.
0
J. Peel

Member
Registered:
Posts: 54
Reply with quote  #29 
A R+ with a Fox AX fork will be my next build.
0
donavan

Starter
Registered:
Posts: 15
Reply with quote  #30 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclostf
Handling is just fine. The R+ is built around the ENVE cross fork which has a 47mm rake. So, the 4mm difference is unnoticeable with the tires I am using.

I bought a Large frame. With the Sram Force 1x groupset and i9 AR25 TRA alloy wheels and 40mm tires, the bike weights just a bit over 18 lbs. It is fitted with a 10-42 cassette and 40t chaingring. My second wheelset (Hope trail 27.5) is heavier, bringing the bike around 20lbs with an e13 9-46 cassette.

I almost bought a Lynskey (I already have Lynskey road and mountain bikes), but they didn't have the size I was looking for, I didn't like their fork and they charged an awful lot of money for a Sram Force 1 groupset. I am sure I would have been happy with the GR frame, but for just a bit more, the Why seemed like a better option.


I just ordered a Curve GXR with eyelets.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Will post an update once I receive it and get it fitted. I'm hoping to come in under 20lbs with Di2 1x. 

Right now I only have 1 wheelset which is currently seeing duty on my MTB. I'll likely look at a 27.5 wheelset in the future. DT XMC 1200 have been on sale for a while in Europe. I just need to pull the trigger.

I ordered some WTB Reolutes for the current wheelset and received 2 tires with mismatched treads. I'll likely never notice, but decided to return anyway. Pretty weird that they were both mismatched and WTB didn't pick it up in QC. 

IMG_0658.jpg 
0
pieteraertsen

Starter
Registered:
Posts: 9
Reply with quote  #31 
Hi guys,
very nice pictures and very nice bikes.
I was hoping you can help me with the decision what size i should choose with the Lynsky Gr 260.
I think you have quite an experince with that .
I am 180 cm ( 5″11) and my inner leg height is 34.
I will us  it mainly for bikepacking , so i was not quite sure if i should choose the L
Thanks so much for your help,
all the best
dom
0
m0ngy

Starter
Registered:
Posts: 12
Reply with quote  #32 
If it's any help, I'm 5'11", 32" inseam, and have ordered the M/L GR260 with 25mm set back seat post.

Can't tell you how it fits yet, haven't received it, but all my other road/CX bikes are 56cm, as is the M/L (56.5cm).
0
pieteraertsen

Starter
Registered:
Posts: 9
Reply with quote  #33 
Hi ,
does anybody know something about the salsa 110 firestarter carbon deluxe fork.
would it be a match for the lynskey , or is it more Mtb.
thanks for your thoughts .
greetings
dom Salsa-Firestarter-110-carbon-deluxe-fork_2-480x960.jpg 

0
J. Peel

Member
Registered:
Posts: 54
Reply with quote  #34 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieteraertsen
Hi ,
does anybody know something about the salsa 110 firestarter carbon deluxe fork.
would it be a match for the lynskey , or is it more Mtb.
thanks for your thoughts .
greetings
dom


The axle to crown length on that fork is 483mm which is almost 100mm longer than a std gravel fork.  That would throw the geometry and handling out of whack.
0
donavan

Starter
Registered:
Posts: 15
Reply with quote  #35 
Completed my build this morning. Took me a few too many days, but thats mainly due to lack of a work stand and I had some issues with Di2 and getting my front brakes setup.

My build is as follows:
ML frame with Curve GRX fork (more on the latter in a bit)
Wheels DT350 hubs with WTB i19 rim rear and DT XR361 22.5 front
11-40 XTR cassette with 54 star ratchet = LOUD
Ultegra crankset with Wolftooth 38t chainring 
Ultegra Di2 hydraulic shifters and brakes
XT Di2 derailleur 
FSA disc rotors
Syntace P6 seatpost
Fabric saddle
Salsa Cowchipper carbon bars 440mm with Fizik 3mm bar tape
Race face stem 90mm.. I might try a slightly shorter stem
Maxxis Ravager 700x40 tubeless 

And what everybody wants to know....

WEIGHT 9.5kg or 21lbs

Had my first ride this afternoon. All I can say is WOW. Very compliant. Soaks up gravel. The Syntace has a tendency to give you a slight bobbing feeling, but I'm hoping to get used to that. I ran the tires at 35psi front and 37psi rear which ended up being great for gravel, but a little too soft for where I ended up. I rode a stretch of singletrack that I normally mtb. Rocks and roots. Chose my lines a little more carefully and only had to dismount twice! I could feel the tires working at their limit with the lower psi. A really good test and the bike really passed with flying colors. I see a 27.5 wheelset in my future.

A note on the Curve GRX. These guys are in Australia. I placed my order on the 14th and 6 days later DHL were at my Midwest US door dropping the fork. I think it worked out around $450 USD total. No customs duty. The fork is awesome. Triple mount on each side. I had 2 small issues although they really were minor. There was some gummy glue residue just where the crown race needed to be set. I rubbed it off with my finger and managed to seat the lower race with a 1.5 inch PVC pipe. Took a few whacks, but got a good seat in the end. When it came time to set up the brakes I struggled a lot. Eventually I took off the caliper and realized that there was excess paint on the mounts. Took a flat Stanley blade and carefully faced them smooth. Brakes are perfect now.

Note that its a 12mm thru axle. I bought adapters for my DT hubs. My rear axle is a DT with the removable handle. Bonus is its the same size hex for the front.

How does it ride. Pretty damn well for my first impression. Highly recommended. 

IMG_0737.jpg  Looking forward to shredding up my grass in the next few months. My wife is gonna hate me.IMG_0742.jpg  IMG_0743.jpg  Great clearance!IMG_0744.jpg  IMG_0745.jpg  IMG_0747.jpg  IMG_0750.jpg  I cleared those roots no problem although I do mtb so have 'advanced' skills.IMG_0752.jpg  Bluetooth in the left side and EW RS910 in the right. Modified handlebar.




0
m0ngy

Starter
Registered:
Posts: 12
Reply with quote  #36 
Nice build, looks great.

A few questions:
1. How tall are you? Inseam?
2. What crank arm length did you go with?
3. Why didn't you want the Lynskey gravel forks?
4. Where did you get the Cowchipper bars, and how much?
5. 90mm stem already seems a tad short, wouldn't the front end feel twitchy?

I've got an M/L GR260 coming, with Lynskey gravel forks. I'm 5'11", 32" inseam. 
0
pieteraertsen

Starter
Registered:
Posts: 9
Reply with quote  #37 
Awesome Donovan,
Happy for you, looks great.
Good choice think with the curve.
Hope I can order this week.
All the best .
Dom
0
pieteraertsen

Starter
Registered:
Posts: 9
Reply with quote  #38 
Hi Donovan,
One thing what would interest me is a longtime review on the handlebar and the fork feelings.
As well about the seatpost.
I am currently thinking about the same 3 parts.
Would be great if you can share experience about drive feelings and behavior.
Thanks again.
All the best and have fun.
Dom
0
donavan

Starter
Registered:
Posts: 15
Reply with quote  #39 
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0ngy
Nice build, looks great.

A few questions:
1. How tall are you? Inseam?
2. What crank arm length did you go with?
3. Why didn't you want the Lynskey gravel forks?
4. Where did you get the Cowchipper bars, and how much?
5. 90mm stem already seems a tad short, wouldn't the front end feel twitchy?

I've got an M/L GR260 coming, with Lynskey gravel forks. I'm 5'11", 32" inseam. 


1. I am the same height. 5'11 or 181cm with a 33" inseam
2. 172.5mm. I can't tell the difference between this and the 175mm on my mtb
3. A few reasons. No mounts on the legs. Axle thread pitch isn't compatible with 3rd party axles. Price. There are plenty of other options out there for cheaper. If you buy it as a package from Lynskey then that last point is moot.
4. Westernbikeworks. I think i got 20% off over 4th July. Reg $215
5. This is a hard one for me as I come from a mtb background. My mtb stem is 70mm and I could probably go down another 10mm. Bar width plays a role here. I ride with 780mm mtb bars. The cowchippers are 440mm. Wider bars stretch you more hence the shorter stem. Keep in mind that the bike has slack geometry. For me I felt a little too stretched out. I rode a stretch of technical singletrack that I felt the bike handled very well. You're going to have to ride your bike and see how it feels and then tune it accordingly. 

One thing I can you is that those tires I rode were amazing. Grippy and the bike felt very smooth at mid 30s psi.

Enjoy!
0
m0ngy

Starter
Registered:
Posts: 12
Reply with quote  #40 
Wow, you're like my doppelganger, from your size, crank arm length, mtnbike background, even stem length... Lol. 

I've got two Thomson X4 mtb stems to try, a 100mm/0 offset, and a 90mm/6 degree offset. I've also got two seat posts to try, a Lynskey 400mm/25mm setback titanium, and a Thomson Masterpiece straight 330mm. I'll start out with the 100mm stem and setback seat post, see how I go.

A few years ago, I got an amazing deal on an XL Santa Cruz Highball 29 CC, with Enve M50's, XX1, etc, which was slightly too large for me, but I stuck a 70mm stem on it and just got used to it. It reminded me of my old 1996 M2 Stumpjumper, which also had a long top tube, roomy cockpit. Subsequently, my 56cm, 2014 Crux Expert felt slightly small, thus I've retained a longish stem for the GR260, and setback seat post. I don't think I have the height or leg length to step-up another whole size, to 58cm. 

Been difficult sourcing a decent set of adventure bars. I've bought and returned two drop bars already, without even trying them on the bike. The first were 46cm Thomson carbon road bars, really liked the oversized, oval shape and feel of the back part of the bars, but the drop was massive, too much for my liking. I then bought a set of 44cm 3T Ergonova LTD Stealth carbon drop bars, but found the size measurement was taken from the bottom of the drops, which meant they were actually 42cm at the top, looked small, I want wide bars. Then I bought a set of 46cm Easton EC70 AX carbon adventure drop bars, which failed to arrive, got all the way here to Melbourne, only for the carrier to send them back to the US. So, yeah, haha, not easy.

I've got a Mavic Allroad Pro UST wheelset, which comes with their 40mm tyres. Always wanted to try a Mavic factory wheelset, but their hubs were renowned for being made of cheese in the past. Haven't even used them and I'm somewhat dubious, as they've got some rubber inside the freehub, which makes them almost silent. Being a mtnbiker, I'm used to Chris King, Hadley, and Hope hubs, which sound like a machine gun as you're coasting through the forest, haha. 

Cheers mate. 








0
donavan

Starter
Registered:
Posts: 15
Reply with quote  #41 
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0ngy
Wow, you're like my doppelganger, from your size, crank arm length, mtnbike background, even stem length... Lol. 

I've got two Thomson X4 mtb stems to try, a 100mm/0 offset, and a 90mm/6 degree offset. I've also got two seat posts to try, a Lynskey 400mm/25mm setback titanium, and a Thomson Masterpiece straight 330mm. I'll start out with the 100mm stem and setback seat post, see how I go.

A few years ago, I got an amazing deal on an XL Santa Cruz Highball 29 CC, with Enve M50's, XX1, etc, which was slightly too large for me, but I stuck a 70mm stem on it and just got used to it. It reminded me of my old 1996 M2 Stumpjumper, which also had a long top tube, roomy cockpit. Subsequently, my 56cm, 2014 Crux Expert felt slightly small, thus I've retained a longish stem for the GR260, and setback seat post. I don't think I have the height or leg length to step-up another whole size, to 58cm. 

Been difficult sourcing a decent set of adventure bars. I've bought and returned two drop bars already, without even trying them on the bike. The first were 46cm Thomson carbon road bars, really liked the oversized, oval shape and feel of the back part of the bars, but the drop was massive, too much for my liking. I then bought a set of 44cm 3T Ergonova LTD Stealth carbon drop bars, but found the size measurement was taken from the bottom of the drops, which meant they were actually 42cm at the top, looked small, I want wide bars. Then I bought a set of 46cm Easton EC70 AX carbon adventure drop bars, which failed to arrive, got all the way here to Melbourne, only for the carrier to send them back to the US. So, yeah, haha, not easy.

I've got a Mavic Allroad Pro UST wheelset, which comes with their 40mm tyres. Always wanted to try a Mavic factory wheelset, but their hubs were renowned for being made of cheese in the past. Haven't even used them and I'm somewhat dubious, as they've got some rubber inside the freehub, which makes them almost silent. Being a mtnbiker, I'm used to Chris King, Hadley, and Hope hubs, which sound like a machine gun as you're coasting through the forest, haha. 

Cheers mate. 

The size is spot on. For me anyway.

If you're in Aus I'm surprised you didn't look at Curve bikes. The Kevin looks awesome. 

Did you order the GR260 from Lynskey directly?

On a different topic, I hope the Wallabies have been hard at work because the Springboks might just pitch up again on Saturday. 






0
m0ngy

Starter
Registered:
Posts: 12
Reply with quote  #42 
Not big into rugby union, or league, or footy (Aussie rules) for that matter. Was right into the cricket as a kid, when all the legends were playing, the Waugh twins, Ponting, Shane Warne, Glenn McGrath, etc, etc, too many to mention. 

Several months ago, half a dozen bikes were stolen from a house break-in. My entire stable, except for one bike, an old, ratty looking, '96 Specialized Shark Cruiser, which happens to be my favourite, irreplaceable bike, which I've had for 20 years. I wanted to replace several bikes with one. Looked at another Crux, but wanted something more comfortable. Looked at the Venge, but thought the head shock thingy was a gimmick, too expensive for what it was, and bike shop didn't want to swap out parts, allow me to  customise. Another local bike shop had a '15 Kona Rove Ti hanging on the wall, and although I hadn't intended to spend $7-8k+, I just really liked the frame. Always been fascinated by the idea of a Ti bike, crane my neck to get a glimpse of a Moots or Lightspeed when driving around, extremely rare over here. 

So, I bought this Kona, and Kona carbon forks, wheels, and groupo, before I'd done any research. I'd never even heard of 'gravel grinders' previously, just knew I wanted a comfortable bike for long, relatively flat, mixed surface rides, that could take me anywhere. I'm 42, get to ride maybe once a week. Gone are the days of a 1 hour trail blitz, with 50 mins of lung busting climbing, for 10 mins of downhill action, that's what Turbo Levo's are for, lol. As I read articles and watched lots of Youtube vids, delved deeper into this relatively new gravel genre, I realised the Kona was fairly outdated, with it's 65mm BB drop (GR260 = 75mm), lack of thru-axles, externally non-tapered head tube, etc. I've kept the Force 22 groupset, and Mavic wheels, but had to negotiate a deal with the bike shop to return the frame and forks, cost me. I like the concept of Sram's 1x, but two chain rings allow me to select the exact gear for my cadence, cruising along the flat in total comfort.

I ordered the GR260 direct from Lynskey, will cost me a grand more than the Kona, factoring-in 10% GST, and the USD to AUD exchange, but it's a fully updated frame, in matt satin with etched decals, which is exactly what I want, the classic Ti look, imo. They're supposed to be sending it today, expect to hear from them, hopefully doesn't take too long. Have to say, their communications are terrible. I've sent several emails, and attempted to communicated through their chat service, and you're lucky to get a response, it's really hit or miss. Maybe they're just ignoring me? It's just one guy, Jamie, responding to potentially thousands of consumers, they really need to employ some more staff. 

Hadn't heard of Curve until recently, randomly hit one of their links, remember I came into this gravel build with little knowledge, and haven't had much assistance. I like the Kevin, looks good, but I'm already committed to the GR260 now. With it's slack geo, sloping top tube, seems closer to a traditional HT mtb than a roady or CX bike, which is what I want. Plus, I'm a difficult customer, want to choose every component myself, with no compromises, and that's difficult to do when you're buying a build kit, or dealing with a company trying to push own brand parts. I don't mind paying more money, if I get exactly what I want in the end. A bike isn't just about performance, it's a reflection of who you are, what you're about. It's a showpiece, to have in your lounge, and every time you look at it, it's gotta be, "Yeah, sexy beast", not, "Meh, it was a good deal." Ya feelin' me? 😉




0
donavan

Starter
Registered:
Posts: 15
Reply with quote  #43 
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0ngy
Several months ago, half a dozen bikes were stolen from a house break-in. My entire stable, except for one bike, an old, ratty looking, '96 Specialized Shark Cruiser, which happens to be my favourite, irreplaceable bike, which I've had for 20 years. I wanted to replace several bikes with one. Looked at another Crux, but wanted something more comfortable. Looked at the Venge, but thought the head shock thingy was a gimmick, too expensive for what it was, and bike shop didn't want to swap out parts, allow me to  customise. Another local bike shop had a '15 Kona Rove Ti hanging on the wall, and although I hadn't intended to spend $7-8k+, I just really liked the frame. Always been fascinated by the idea of a Ti bike, crane my neck to get a glimpse of a Moots or Lightspeed when driving around, extremely rare over here. 

So, I bought this Kona, and Kona carbon forks, before I'd done any research. I'd never even heard of 'gravel grinders' previously, just knew I wanted a comfortable bike for long, relatively flat, mixed surface rides, that could take me anywhere. I'm 42, get to ride maybe once a week. Gone are the days of a 1 hour trail blitz, with 50 mins of lung busting climbing, for 10 mins of downhill action, that's what Turbo Levo's are for, lol. As I read articles and watched lots of Youtube vids, delved deeper into this relatively new gravel genre, I realised the Kona was fairly outdated, with it's 65mm BB drop (GR260 = 75mm), lack of thru-axles, externally non-tapered head tube, etc.

I ordered the GR260 direct from Lynskey, will cost me a grand more than the Kona, factoring-in 10% GST, and the USD to AUD exchange, but it's a fully updated frame, in matt satin with etched decals, which is exactly what I want, the classic Ti look, imo. They're supposed to be sending it today, expect to hear from them, hopefully doesn't take too long. Have to say, their communications are terrible. I've sent several emails, and attempted to communicated through their chat service, and you're lucky to get a response, it's really hit or miss. Maybe they're just ignoring me? It's just one guy, Jamie, responding to potentially thousands of consumers, they really need to employ some more staff. 

Hadn't heard of Curve until recently, randomly hit one of their links, remember I came into this gravel build with little knowledge, and haven't had much assistance. I like the Kevin, looks good, but I'm already committed to the GR260 now. With it's slack geo, sloping top tube, seems closer to a traditional HT mtb than a roady or CX bike, which is what I want. Plus, I'm a difficult customer, want to choose every component myself, with no compromises, and that's difficult to do when you're buying a build kit, or dealing with a company trying to push own brand parts. I don't mind paying more money, if I get exactly what I want in the end. A bike isn't just about performance, it's a reflection of who you are, what you're about. It's a showpiece, to have in your lounge, and every time you look at it, it's gotta be, "Yeah, sexy beast", not, "Meh, it was a good deal." Ya feelin' me? 😉






You really are my doppelganger. Almost the same age. From the Southern Hemisphere (SA here).

I feel you about being fussy about the build. It took me almost a year to commit to a gravel bike. Started out with GR250 envy and the same as you I like the slack geometry and it just suited the kind of riding I wanted to do. Then I came across the Salsa Cutthroat. Okay I almost pulled the trigger on that. Straight wheel swap between my mtb and the cutthroat. I was about to commit and bang they were out of stock. On a whim I checked Chainreactioncycles during the TDF and they had a sale on Lynskey frames. Thats how I ended up back with Ti. Not my first Ti bike mind you. 90's XC bike was Litespeed Ti. I still rate it as the best bike I ever rode. 75mm of travel, but rode it like a b!tch out of hell. 

CCI09122016_7.jpg  Nineties skinny. 

I contacted Lynskey about their fork after I got my frame. Quick to respond. I guess they're good with sales, but suck at follow up. Hopefully you get your bike soon. Funny how we order bikes from around the world. Bought my frame in the UK and fork came from Aus. 

The only thing I can guarantee you is that you will not be disappointed with the ride quality. It's a swiss army knife. My mtb wheels are doing double duty on this bike. Probably won't be riding her again until next year. 

IMG_0312.jpg  I'll miss you ;(

Talking about Moots. When I set off yesterday for my ride there was a Moots rider getting ready. I looked once only. Decided I don't need Moots weld envy. 

Happy riding
0
m0ngy

Starter
Registered:
Posts: 12
Reply with quote  #44 
I knew some white guys from Jo-burg years ago, tough, very wary. I remember going to the beach, we just leave all our stuff on the sand, car keys, wallets, clothes, and jump in the water. They couldn't believe it, were totally paranoid the entire time that someone would steal our belongings, which would never happen in Australia. 

"Not my first Ti bike mind you. 90's XC bike was Litespeed Ti. I still rate it as the best bike I ever rode. 75mm of travel, but rode it like a b!tch out of hell."

Sweet, must've cost a packet back then.  I had those red Judy DH's, absolute garbage, with crappy little cartridges, snapped the lowers in half, ate it hard launching over some doubles. Is that second image of a Tallboy? I always wanted one of them. Love the move to 29" wheels, prefer them over 27.5", though I had an orange, 2017 Turbo Levo Expert, with 27.5" semi-fat tyres, which was brilliant to ride, superb traction, and completely ironed-out the small stuff. 

Had an M2 Stumpy in the '90's, my pride and joy, on the dole, broke as a joke, smoking phat spliffs, get "in the zone", super fit, smash it out all day, loving impossible climbs. Gone are the days when mtb was in it's infancy and untamed, full of wild men doing crazy shit, it wasn't a good ride unless you had stinging sweat in your eyes and bloody knees.

"On a whim I checked Chainreactioncycles during the TDF and they had a sale on Lynskey frames."

CRC had several 2018 GR260's in M/L, but I'd already ordered from Lynskey, and they're all sold now anyway. I sent Lynskey an email, trying to cancel the order, even got Paypal to send them a formal request to cancel, which they simply ignored. Oh well, buying from CRC would've saved me about a grand, all-up, but I wouldn't have got the exact finish I wanted, not that it's worth a grand to me. 

"I contacted Lynskey about their fork after I got my frame. Quick to respond. I guess they're good with sales, but suck at follow up."

Ha, yeah, you don't say. I guess they've already got my money... I've had to wait about a month, or five weeks for the frame build, plus another couple weeks shipping. At one point, after the Paypal request to cancel the order, they offered me a free industrial mill finish for the trouble. I prefer matt satin, like a Moots, cause that's just how Ti bikes are supposed to look, imo, but asked if they'd do the decal etching for free instead, being of similar value. No response. 



0
donavan

Starter
Registered:
Posts: 15
Reply with quote  #45 
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0ngy
I knew some white guys from Jo-burg years ago, tough, very wary. I remember going to the beach, we just leave all our stuff on the sand, car keys, wallets, clothes, and jump in the water. They couldn't believe it, were totally paranoid the entire time that someone would steal our belongings, which would never happen in Australia. 

"Not my first Ti bike mind you. 90's XC bike was Litespeed Ti. I still rate it as the best bike I ever rode. 75mm of travel, but rode it like a b!tch out of hell."

Sweet, must've cost a packet back then.  I had those red Judy DH's, absolute garbage, with crappy little cartridges, snapped the lowers in half, ate it hard launching over some doubles. Is that second image of a Tallboy? I always wanted one of them. Love the move to 29" wheels, prefer them over 27.5", though I had an orange, 2017 Turbo Levo Expert, with 27.5" semi-fat tyres, which was brilliant to ride, superb traction, and completely ironed-out the small stuff. 

Had an M2 Stumpy in the '90's, my pride and joy, on the dole, broke as a joke, smoking phat spliffs, get "in the zone", super fit, smash it out all day, loving impossible climbs. Gone are the days when mtb was in it's infancy and untamed, full of wild men doing crazy shit, it wasn't a good ride unless you had stinging sweat in your eyes and bloody knees.

"On a whim I checked Chainreactioncycles during the TDF and they had a sale on Lynskey frames."

CRC had several 2018 GR260's in M/L, but I'd already ordered from Lynskey, and they're all sold now anyway. I sent Lynskey an email, trying to cancel the order, even got Paypal to send them a formal request to cancel, which they simply ignored. Oh well, buying from CRC would've saved me about a grand, all-up, but I wouldn't have got the exact finish I wanted, not that it's worth a grand to me. 

"I contacted Lynskey about their fork after I got my frame. Quick to respond. I guess they're good with sales, but suck at follow up."

Ha, yeah, you don't say. I guess they've already got my money... I've had to wait about a month, or five weeks for the frame build, plus another couple weeks shipping. At one point, after the Paypal request to cancel the order, they offered me a free industrial mill finish for the trouble. I prefer matt satin, like a Moots, cause that's just how Ti bikes are supposed to look, imo, but asked if they'd do the decal etching for free instead, being of similar value. No response. 





I think SAFAs worldwide are still a little paranoid about getting their items stolen. It takes some time to 'cool off' after living in a country that battles crime on a daily basis.

Yeah that Litespeed was exotic and expensive back in the day. Those Judy DH forks with springs instead of elastomers were fine for a lightweight like me. I only blew the cartridges once. Then again I only weighed 65kg with kit!

90's bikes will forever live on as legends. Pioneering mountain biking as we know it today. 29ers are definitely the way forward though. Those big wheels roll over anything. My SC Tallboy weighs the same as my Ti Litespeed 26er hardtail. Crazy!

Back on the subject of the Lynskey. One thing I have noticed is that I am getting a touch of heel strike. I ride clipless wearing size 43.5 Sidis. My left heel will occasionally just touch the chainstay. Only happens if I'm riding slightly more technical terrain. I do ride a little more duck-footed and also heel up. 
0
m0ngy

Starter
Registered:
Posts: 12
Reply with quote  #46 
"Back on the subject of the Lynskey. One thing I have noticed is that I am getting a touch of heel strike. I ride clipless wearing size 43.5 Sidis. My left heel will occasionally just touch the chainstay. Only happens if I'm riding slightly more technical terrain. I do ride a little more duck-footed and also heel up."

Hmm, that's interesting... Should be alright, I ride with my heel out anyway, from years of running, and Thai boxing in my late teens/early twenties. 

I'm a Dragon SRS man myself, size 46. Specialized make a pretty good shoe also, but I always come back to Sidi, none are more comfortable. I've got some XT SPD's, didn't want to spend an extra $80 for a 30g weight saving, and I read the XTR's have bearing issues. 

Just ordered some 46cm, carbon Cowchipper bars from Western Bike Works, in the US, and a couple of pairs of Oakley Field Jacket glasses, with different types of Prizm lenses, love those things. I've got a good union job, tier one civil construction, big national infrastructure projects. I'm very privileged to work where I do, know the right people, earn a comfortable living. 

My GR260's on it's way, I'll post some pics when it arrives. Tracking doesn't give me an ETA, so I assume it's gonna take a while. 
0
Axsdeny

Starter
Registered:
Posts: 3
Reply with quote  #47 
Donavan,

Which headset are you using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by donavan
Completed my build this morning. Took me a few too many days, but thats mainly due to lack of a work stand and I had some issues with Di2 and getting my front brakes setup.

My build is as follows:
ML frame with Curve GRX fork (more on the latter in a bit)
Wheels DT350 hubs with WTB i19 rim rear and DT XR361 22.5 front
11-40 XTR cassette with 54 star ratchet = LOUD
Ultegra crankset with Wolftooth 38t chainring 
Ultegra Di2 hydraulic shifters and brakes
XT Di2 derailleur 
FSA disc rotors
Syntace P6 seatpost
Fabric saddle
Salsa Cowchipper carbon bars 440mm with Fizik 3mm bar tape
Race face stem 90mm.. I might try a slightly shorter stem
Maxxis Ravager 700x40 tubeless 

0
donavan

Starter
Registered:
Posts: 15
Reply with quote  #48 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axsdeny
Donavan,

Which headset are you using?



Cane Creek 40.. It's like the KY of headsets
0
donavan

Starter
Registered:
Posts: 15
Reply with quote  #49 
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0ngy
"Back on the subject of the Lynskey. One thing I have noticed is that I am getting a touch of heel strike. I ride clipless wearing size 43.5 Sidis. My left heel will occasionally just touch the chainstay. Only happens if I'm riding slightly more technical terrain. I do ride a little more duck-footed and also heel up."

Hmm, that's interesting... Should be alright, I ride with my heel out anyway, from years of running, and Thai boxing in my late teens/early twenties. 

I'm a Dragon SRS man myself, size 46. Specialized make a pretty good shoe also, but I always come back to Sidi, none are more comfortable. I've got some XT SPD's, didn't want to spend an extra $80 for a 30g weight saving, and I read the XTR's have bearing issues. 

Just ordered some 46cm, carbon Cowchipper bars from Western Bike Works, in the US, and a couple of pairs of Oakley Field Jacket glasses, with different types of Prizm lenses, love those things. I've got a good union job, tier one civil construction, big national infrastructure projects. I'm very privileged to work where I do, know the right people, earn a comfortable living. 

My GR260's on it's way, I'll post some pics when it arrives. Tracking doesn't give me an ETA, so I assume it's gonna take a while. 


Got that new beast yet??
0
Axsdeny

Starter
Registered:
Posts: 3
Reply with quote  #50 
Thanks!

This is mine, stock (Ultegra hydraulic) except for the handlebar (Whisky #7 24F drop bar - like the Cowchipper deluxe), the saddle (Brooks B17 Imperial Pro), and the rear rack (Ratking T-Rack with 3 holes on each side to use for  bottle cages or anything cages).

IMG_5720.jpg 

I did buy this as a full bike, so I think I'm keeping the fork as is since I just remembered that I did have the t-rack for more water bottle options.  This is the M size with 90mm stem (I'm 5'6").



Quote:
Originally Posted by donavan


Cane Creek 40.. It's like the KY of headsets
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.